Titanium (big) Chainrings?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
JackLawrenceXXX

by JackLawrenceXXX

Seems like Titanium might be a good material to make a long-lasting big chainring.... has anyone seen one around?

Since it's so strong, I would figure they can make a good-looking 53 tooth that's really trimmed down in size compaired to Aluminum....

I know BOONE made-makes some sweet looking 24+ tooth cogs.... with the paisly cut-outs.... maybe there's a good looking, LIGHT chainring out there?

It's time to put my FSA 56 tooth in the trash.... 234.7 grams is WAY too heavy, now that I am a Weight Weenie.... just want something BIG and cool... and light now!
-Jack Lawrence
Follow me, hate me or just laugh at me.... it's all good... just never say I am not excited and thinking outside the box! The true spirt of Weight Weenism!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1NadYdEW3Y
Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

keevohn

by keevohn

Feel free to send that FSA 56 tooth chainring my way.

Seriously.

DaveS

by DaveS

Big rings last a very long time. Aftermarket Ti rings would not be likely to shift nearly as well. Campy's new hard anodized rings make the most sense to me.

mythical

by mythical

I think by far the nicest titanium chainrings are the Boone rings of lore... They last an eternity. Definitely are worth the (sometimes rather long) wait with Brett making them only occasionally.
http://www.boonerings.com/cr/cr.html

JackLawrenceXXX

by JackLawrenceXXX

Action Tech ones look U G L Y !!!! And I don't think they make a 56 tooth anyways

I looked at the Boone site.... B E A U T I F U L stuff there... I don't know how he gets the Titanium to look nearly like chrome... but it's awesome... would probably clash with the ALL carbon components of my bike, but LIGHT and DURABLE.... might have to sacrafice some matching!

Maybe I'll get a SRAN Red front derailleur and polich the Ti part....
-Jack Lawrence
Follow me, hate me or just laugh at me.... it's all good... just never say I am not excited and thinking outside the box! The true spirt of Weight Weenism!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1NadYdEW3Y
Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I worked with Brett Brown - who is now the man who has rights to the Boone label - on updating some things with the designs we were preparing for 10-speed Campy rings and some other new products. The last time I rode Boone rings (TiCN coated and cryogenically treated - oh, so nice and incredibly durable), they shifted quite well - definitely not Dura Ace, but definitely not bad.

The only thing that I would say is that I had a lot of trouble getting things from Brett right after he expanded his factory and took over another shop - with SKF and Philips as his two biggest clients. That was about 2 years ago however, and I'd certainly hope for him that he has things completely under control now...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Stiffness is the kicker...

Shifting is reasonable but the stiffness is off a bit.

This is one of those funky things where so far, Ti isn't produced in a way that allows for all round better product especially for the money...

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Not of the road world but this is a Boone front chainring and a Boone rear cog from my 29er single speed MTB.

RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

tochnics

by tochnics

those cranks look really good

i dont know if its exists but if shimano made a DA7800 56 chainring that would be my choice (unles u run campy)
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

I know I mentioned it before and it's still not titanium, but I still think this is what you need:

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=552
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

If that chainring was a bit larger he could just connect the pedal directly to the chainring and cut off the crankarm entirely.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

2 wheels wrote:If that chainring was a bit larger he could just connect the pedal directly to the chainring and cut off the crankarm entirely.

Nice idea... :lol: :lol: :lol:

lordconqueror

by lordconqueror

how large is that?!

tabmaster

by tabmaster

77 teeth! :lol:
Raced a 10 mile TT with this bloke on Boxing day 2008 - had a late start and was 2nd by about 10 seconds or something. Must have been flying...