Lightweight brakes

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

pure_science

by pure_science

Iv'e seen a set of XLC Comp BR-R01 road brakes for sale, these are listed at 155grams. Anyone know anything about the stopping power of these? After my experience with the kcnc calipers I am a bit suspicious of lightweight brake offerings.

by Weenie

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Have you had a bad experience with KCNCs then? Please tell all - is it anything I should be wary of?? :shock:

sebastian_nurmela

by sebastian_nurmela

i guess thats 155gr each so 310gr total

pure_science

by pure_science

O.K 300g is nothing special but at 50 quid at least they are decent value. I used the kcnc's on my commute for a while but they were not adequate in London traffic. It would be nice to find a caliper brake that was considerably lighter than Dura Ace but with the same stopping power...probably an impossible ask.

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

M5? Negative G? Both of those (the M5's especially) are regarded as having loads of stopping power... some folks say the M5's even have too much!

toutenhoofd
Shop Owner

by toutenhoofd

KCNC brakes work MUCH better if you ditch the stock KCNC brake pads that come with the calipers, and replace them with SwisStop pads. I can't tell you how many customers of ours have complained about KCNC brakes not working well enough, and then after replacing the pads, totally changed their point-of-view. They are so much better with other pads and I wish KCNC would either start shipping their brakes with better pads, or even ship them with no pads at all. That being said, KCNC brakes, even with SwissStop pads, don't have the stopping power of the new TRP 960s, the EE Brake, or the Zero Gravity Negative G. But they are light, and a good deal.
www.cyclingtechnology.com
(NOTE: This poster owns a retail business selling weight conscious bike related products.)

ride29inches

by ride29inches

I know most people on this forum on this forum hate main stream brands, such as bontrger but the speed limit brakes they make weigh less than red, dura-ace, or record (calimed 270gm) and have almost as much stopping power. They are only single pivot brakes, which at first make some people weary of them, but they have more than enough stopping power. Blow zero gravity out of the water.

EDIT: I know these are a good 100 grams heavier than the super lightweight offerings in the brake market, but you also have to consider the much lower cost ($199 msrp), and the gain in braking power (this is my opinion of course).

pupuslinger

by pupuslinger

I have a Neg G on the front of my fixie and I think it has plenty of stopping power, I am sure if I had a back one it would stop on a dime.

rustychain

by rustychain

95 kilos + carbon rims = M5
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

DETEC

by DETEC

pure_science wrote:Iv'e seen a set of XLC Comp BR-R01 road brakes for sale, these are listed at 155grams. Anyone know anything about the stopping power of these? After my experience with the kcnc calipers I am a bit suspicious of lightweight brake offerings.

i still cannot believe, that people on here disregard the brakes i sell under the kurve brand,
sold so many and have had nothing but glowing reports and performance pluses, that i care to mention.

Finish is way above that of most brakes twice the price...and i have even had comments from ZG owners that they out perform themand some!

even jhad a customer with dura ace brakes, said they were very near the performance, when upgraded with swiss stop.

Take a look at them, very under estimated, and in my opinion often over looked by many, in the pursuit of lightness

bcheung

by bcheung

DETEC wrote:i still cannot believe, that people on here disregard the brakes i sell under the kurve brand

From http://www.kurve.co.uk/index.php?cmd=Products:

"SOLD EXCLUSIVELY TO U.K.& EUROPE"

:roll:

edit: oops! got the URL wrong
Last edited by bcheung on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

bcheung wrote:From http://curve.co.uk:

That website has nothing to do with bike brakes! :lol:

DETEC

by DETEC

bcheung wrote:
DETEC wrote:i still cannot believe, that people on here disregard the brakes i sell under the kurve brand

From http://curve.co.uk:

GOT IT IN ONE....but with a K.... as i spelt it in my thread... http://kurve.co.uk

But never mind the plug for the website, its the brakes, they really do demand some recognition.

bcheung

by bcheung

isn't it tough to recognize the brakes when 1/2 (a guess) of the people on the forum can't get them?

by Weenie

jjmstang

by jjmstang

Most likely the reason is they are infringing on a US patent.
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers