Edge 2.0 road fork

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
coloclimber

by coloclimber

Last night I installed an Edge 2.0 road fork on my Cervelo and was just blown away by the ride quality on my usual 1 hour lunch ride climb.
The Edge 2.0 is 306 grams stripped and cut to ~20.5cm. No lawyer tabs (and I am an attorney) :lol:

I didnt notice a huge difference on the flats or the climb but the character of the bike really changed on the descent back down to Boulder. The bike with the new fork tracked very well and inspired confidence that has been lacking in the few months I have owned the bike and used a different fork. Having ridden quite a few different forks lately (on different bikes), I didnt think a fork would have such an influence on ride feel - but I was wrong.

There was only a 1mm change in rake and a slightly shorter fork but it, and the carbon layup/technique changed the handling a lot. I was coming off an Alpha Q GS30 and thought I really liked the fork but never got used to the way it handled on high speed sharp descents.

Now I have Edge rims and fork- what else can they come up with that I can put on my bike???
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

by Weenie

J-Nice

by J-Nice

Edge are quietly putting out some nice products.

How did you like the stiffness while climbing? Any noticeable differences between the Edge and the Alpha Q?

How did it react to road buzz, bumps and potholes?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Where did you pick up the fork?

coloclimber

by coloclimber

prendrefeu- A good friend from the forum.

J-Nice- I didnt really notice a difference in stiffness while climbing after only one ride but the frame is pretty stiff to begin with. I also had a new lighter stem on so it wasn't apples to apples.

The two things that were immediately noticeable were the handling difference and ride quality. The handling difference can be attributed to the different rake and fork lengths. The ride quality is why I felt compelled to write something on WW.

The Alpha Q seemed to bounce over bumps, instead of absorb some of them. The Edge didnt "soak" up the bumps like a more flexible fork, it seemed to dissipate the bumb energy more on the road buzz. When I hit a familiar pothole through a corner, the Edge was predictable and reacted how I wanted the bike to handle despite not being familiar with riding the fork before. In fact, I was braced for a bigger bounce off the pot hole being used to the Alpha Q's ride. Does this make sense as I am typing it?

After this brief experience, it must be said that changing a fork can have a profound influence on the ride quality of a bike. It was akin to pushing the stiffer suspension button on my mother-in-laws S-Class. Same Mercedes ride quality but tighter.

J-Nice

by J-Nice

Thanks for the reply and yes, it makes sense!!!

Feel free to keep it coming with the commentary as you get more miles in.

I am thinking of this fork for my next ride. By the way, do you have photos of the bike posted on the site? I really would like to see it.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

If the rake works for you I think the Edge would be a great addition.
Here is a pic.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... c&start=72

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

which rake did you get? good to hear that it has worked out well

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I switched from an easton slx to the edge fork and I'm never going back--WHAT A DIFFERENCE in the way the bike handles and just rides all around. Can't wait for the 1.0 to come out-- started a little fund already.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

cyclenutnz wrote:which rake did you get? good to hear that it has worked out well

I was surprised the 43mm would make such a difference but it did.

mdeth- I heard the Easton is a wet noodle. The Edge 1.0 is scary light and hopefully just as strong as the 2.0. Its still being worked out though from what I hear.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

Expect to see a lot more nice stuff from Edge for your bike come Interbike, and possibly some other nice stuff trickling out over the winter for next year also...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Come on Lance, thats not fair- spill the beans
Your making me sick here
:sick:

jjmstang

by jjmstang

I just hope that Edge Composites doesn't forget about QC while they are producing more and more products. It happens all the time in other industries and I'm sure it has happened in the bike industry before.

John
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

There should be a couple more components - easy to figure out what since they are predominantly carbon guys. I can't give any specifics since we have an NDA between us, but I am pretty excited about putting some new toys on bikes...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

jjmstang

by jjmstang

I'm gonna guess handlebars, stems, seatposts and a carbon crankset from this outfit would be cool.

John
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

by Weenie

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

lancejohnson wrote:There should be a couple more components - easy to figure out what since they are predominantly carbon guys.
Pure speculation: Stems, handlebars, seatposts? Going out much more on a limb, carbon saddles, hubs, complete carbon (spoke) wheelsets, frames, and so far out on a limb it sounds unlikely, cranks?

Edit: My speculation is independent of jjmstang's since I didn't see his post before I posted mine.