Sram Red chainring fails on a steep mountain road

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
GrahamB

by GrahamB

toyota wrote:it weighs even less when you break off a tooth. :lol:

Besides, it now matches the cassettes :lol:
Graham

Roobay

by Roobay

Yes thats my blood on it :shock:
i had to bend it back off the chain stay

i like people... i just can't stand assholes

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

Roobay wrote:Yes thats my blood on it :shock:

Thats nasty dude (>_<)
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

mathi

by mathi

:shock: :shock: :shock:

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

Roobay wrote:Yes thats my blood on it :shock:

ITsn't that why they call it SRAM Red? :wink:

Mattyew

by Mattyew

awesome pic, broken bike parts and blood is about as hardcore as it gets - plus you'll have a sick scar to show off

mythical

by mythical

Ouch! Roobay, those chainring pix make me curious about the gash it left in your leg though! Care to share? ;)

Roobay

by Roobay

Update

no it didnt cut my leg :lol:
i cut my fingers bending it back off my chain stays :shock:
in order to get home i freewheeled and put the chain on the smaller ring.
The more i think a bout this the more it perplexes me, surely the chain should have broke or worst case the crank snapped.
So i took it to the LBS to get a better look at it and hear there comments.
They had never seen anything like this and when the chain ring was off the bike you could see that the "tare" occurred in the thinest part of the pressing, they all seem to say that it may have been a defect in the pressing or weakness. Still i think Sram ought to reslly take a close look at it and see what exactly went wrong, its winging its way to the UK distributor.. maenwhile rather than be off that bike i purchased another chain ring £45 and hope that Sram will reimburse me later.
Cheers
jr

FreaK

by FreaK

GrahamB wrote:
toyota wrote:it weighs even less when you break off a tooth. :lol:

Besides, it now matches the cassettes :lol:

post of the month!
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

jkautz55

by jkautz55

So I just registered for this forum just to share your pain. I installed the SRAM Red crankset a few weeks ago and had no alignment issues to speak of. Now I find myself up at 2 AM convinced that I can eyeball my severely bent big-ring straight again. This didn't happen as a result of a fall or mis-use; it happened because sometimes I like to do interval training and push the pedals kinda hard like I did yesterday. Given the low weight of the chainrings I was wary of doing a sprint interval of any kind so I backed off a little bit but still bent the crap out of these things.

Based on my powertap data from this particuliar ride and given that I wasn't changing big 2 small ring or something at the time, was riding on flat terrain and had properly installed equipment that wasn't damaged before I got it (not going to overlook a bent chainring when your using it to align your FD) these things will fail at around 1,000 watts or so...I really like the rest of the SRAM group components, even an FD that doesn't trim (there's ways around that), however, in light of the shop owner's post about "keep in mind how light these are" or something like that.......I'm not Thor the "God of Thunder" who could probably reach 1800 Watts on a handcycle with a hangover and these are friggin chainrings in a group set that marketed itself as being under like 2000 grams or so i think...Just based on principle alone im pretty f*&^* pissed

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

wow,
these things are making my extralite rings look really, really good!

Arrow

by Arrow

So a sample of three people determine that all red chainrings are weak :P
I think its more likely it could be some kind of user error. Regardless.... I just got red on my bike and I'll reply to this post one day if I bend my rings sprinting.

P.S. I will say though, the rings really don't look that sturdy.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Arrow wrote:So a sample of three people determine that all red chainrings are weak :P
I think its more likely it could be some kind of user error.

Yeah, the user error was buying and using the damn things.

Roobay

by Roobay

think its more likely it could be some kind of user error. Regardless....

User error!!!!!
sorry but i dont think so, its evident that there is a weakness in the larger chainrings at the thinest point, Sram are looking into this ATM with my fail ring
Cheers
jr

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

SRAM is aware of this problem. I talked with a guy from there and he said tht they had a bunch of pros snapping these things for fun when they frist come out. I thought that they had since been re-engineered but perhaps you have a set that was before the revision.

I'm not sure how the warranty works across the pond, but I woudl think that they would send you a new ring without too much problem.