Campy 8-speed Record. Need help on this build.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

rayhuang

by rayhuang

I have been slowly collecting parts to rebuild my custom 1992 Paramount OS steel road frame. I dont want to build it up with too many modern parts, but a retro build with some modern bits. I found my favorite crank the Mavic 631 and then bought Campy Ergo record 8-speed brifters (405 grams). I will use a modern 26.0 bar to go with the custom Torque titanium stem. The modern bars have a more comfortable bend at the top to go with the brifters. btw-how did we even ride on the hoods back then? I used Cinelli 66 and Modolo ergo bars-so uncomfortable nowadays.

Theres no problems finding 8-speed Campy derailleurs. But what I cannot find is a cassette. What I had planned, but I hear too many conflicting things is to use my Shimano wheels with my SRAM 8-speed 12-25 cassettes (222 grams) from my cross bike.

Ive been told it works due to the spacing being equal between Shimano 8 and Campy 8 and Ive been told it wont, dont bother.

So my questions are will this work reliably or what are the tricks ot make this work? Its not $$ feasable for me to buy a Campy rear wheel/rear hub for this bike right now. Which chain as well? Would using a Shimano or Campy chain help?

Although horribly unweight weenie, if you can still buy new Campy 8-speed compatible Freewheels (not cassette) I do have a nice set of 80's vintage Campy Strada aero clinchers with Mavic 501 sealed bearing hubs in great shape that would do. But of course they require a freewheel. Fits in the retro and Mavic/Campy theme. But where to find the cassettes and freewheels in the US or mail order?

TIA for any help,
Ray
p.s. eventually the goal would be to make this bike sub 19 lbs with a carbon fork, ti BB, tubular box rim wheels.http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/hu ... mavic.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

Campy 8 speed cassettes are still available, but cog selection is limited. Use your computer and search with google.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page ... 1&minor=10

Campy 8 cog spacing is 5.0mm and Shimano is 4.8mm, so it won't make for great shifting is you use a Shimano hub and cassette. You can spend more money and buy a J-tek shiftmate to correct the RD travel.

http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on old, outdated parts that are no longer supported by Campy. Some of the ergo lever repair parts are no longer available. Those early 8 speed ergo lever were also not as comfortable as the newer ones.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I have found that the 8 spd cassettes are the easiest thing to find of the old grouppo.

http://www.glorycycles.com/ca8spca.html

There are a bunch of places that still have them. Use the original; spacer kits rarely shift well...

charliew

by charliew

You can use any 7 speed freewheel with Campag 8 speed ergo shifters. The spacing is an exact match (5.0mm for all brands)and if you still have threaded wheels I'm sure you have a suitable 7 speed freewheel! Good luck.

rayhuang

by rayhuang

Thanks for the links and advice. Sometimes I just dont Google enough!! I see there is a difference in cassette spacing afterall. I do not want a shift-mate thingy hanging off the bike for sure.

The last ride on the bike in 2006 and before that in ohhhh '92 was with indexed downtube shifters (7-speed) and to be honest, it works so well (and I dont race this bike) I wonder, all this hassle to build a retro bike with brifters? I think I used the shifters friction too. smooth and quiet shifting.

I know that Dura-Ace 10 speed Downtube shifters arent that expensive (and I am Rival and DA 10 Speed on my other two bikes), but I thought this old bike deserves the look of Campy and to remain somewhat retro (except bars).

Ray

rayhuang

by rayhuang

charliew wrote:You can use any 7 speed freewheel with Campag 8 speed ergo shifters. The spacing is an exact match (5.0mm for all brands)and if you still have threaded wheels I'm sure you have a suitable 7 speed freewheel! Good luck.

Ahhh-excellent. The Mavic/Campy Strada is sitting in the basement with freewheel and a Vittoria Open Corsa tire installed. Probably just needs a new tube. Also, Vittoria tires seem to last forever. The rubber is pliable, not dry rotted and the casing is still supple. The used tire is over 17 years old!! It did spend its life in a plastic box in the basement for most of that time though.

Thank you,
Ray

aarw

by aarw

i use Campag 8 speed shifter/mech with mavic 501 hubs and freewheel on my winter bike. works spot on and the freewheels can be picked up pretty cheap in the uk.

rayhuang

by rayhuang

aarw-the 501 hubs are truly amazing. My hubs have a minimum of 24,000km on them, rain and snow and the bearings are as smooth as anything you can buy these days. I dont know when I'll actually have to replace them.

I only have Ultegra 7 and 8 speed rear derailleurs right now, but those should work till I score a Record or Chorus on ebay/swap and sell with the record brifter? Or not?

If not I can wait a few weeks or so to build it.

Ray

racyrich

by racyrich

Shimano uniglide cassettes are 5mm spacing, same as the Shimano blocks. I still use them for winter! But the HG cassettes at 4.8 spacing work reasonably well too, same difference as between modern Shimano and Campag systems, which also sort of work.

Mavic 631 c/set? Is that the flying saucer one or the preceding SSC model, virtually a copy of Campag Super Record? I still have a single ring 175mm SSC on my lo pro. But having snapped one years ago in a RR I'd be a bit wary of using one for proper racing. That crash really hurt!

c50jim

by c50jim

You should be able to pick up a derailleur on eBay pretty easily. The pre 2001 9 speeds will also work, although they supposedly work better with 8 speed pulleys. The 8 speed hubs are pretty rare now, although you might find some old 9 speed Shamals (although they really won't match the look of the bike).

aarw

by aarw

seen these and thought of this thread in relation to the mavic 501 hubs...
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s112p0

£12 for a 13-24 block. works a treat on my winter bike which is 52/42 c/ring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com