SID Race verses SID World Cup - Advice please

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Slobberdoggy

by Slobberdoggy

So I'm looking for a light XC racing fork and I cannot decide between the 2007 Sid Race or Sid WC. The Race is lighter and cheaper but has slightly less advanced/adjustable suspension ("motion control").

Other thoughts are welcome. I run v-brakes and am trying to keep my bike very light. I plan to not use the pop loc device. I will be putting it on my 05 scott scale limited.

Please advise.

by Weenie

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

if you're considering a lightweight fork without any remote device - what about a Spinner Aeris Ti fork? It needs some internal adjustment to get it to worker proberly but it's pretty simple! The weight is about 1240 grams with a 180 mm steerertube!

It has a Spul system (kind of like spv) and it works fine!

Slobberdoggy

by Slobberdoggy

I'm having trouble with mine. I only seem to get about 58mm of travel no matter what. It's not very plush at all. The psi I have it at is way lower than my weight would suggest. Any higher psi and it feels like a ridged fork.

So I thought I would get a different fork while I open up my Ares to cut the bottom out bumper I guess. I suppose I am also considering getting another Ares to see if it is something with the one I have now. The customer service via email was not much help (I won't go into the details here).

HYPERION

by HYPERION

well I can suggest frm 1290 gr and a tre g for 1150 (elastomer)
also the old sids (99-00) are light (no disk) at 1190 if I rem well
no one of these fork is very good on downhill, but they're light
the sid race is quite like the old sid, and costs 300 eu

MaLóL

by MaLóL

I would go for the sid race for sure. It´s cheaper and more or less the same weight. I think the lock-out of most sid break down too soon if you don´t use it properly. The pure delite system is more trustable imho.

and the good thing (if you are a real weight weenie), in the future you can install the carbon steerer crown and bars from a wc sid and you´ll have a very light sid...
Happy trails !!!!!

by Weenie

zauberer

by zauberer

Slobberdoggy wrote:So I'm looking for a light XC racing fork and I cannot decide between the 2007 Sid Race or Sid WC. The Race is lighter and cheaper ........

cheaper is right, lighter only a little bit, because there is no poplock/motion control, which is included in WC's weight.

till 2004 I drove a Race, now a WC with V-brake bosses and poplock, stearer cut to 175mm.
Weight incl. poplock is 1320g.

I think the poplock is a very usefull feature, which I don't want to miss in uphills and flat passages.