Pina and Opera

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

TheFatGuy

by TheFatGuy

Can somebody please explain to me the relationship between Pinarello and Opera bikes?

If this has been explained before could somebody point me to that thread?

Thanks!

by Weenie

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

Pinarello own the opera brand, simple as that really.

jerk
in the industry

by jerk

opera started as means allowing pinarello to market, manufacture and develop frames made from tubing and materials not sourced from dedaccai with who they enjoyed an exclusive relationship. basically, pinarello got exlusivity for the first few years on any new dedaccai tubeset and in return, all pinarellos were made primarilly from stuff sourced from dedaccai.

opera was constructed as a brand allowing pinarello to offer bikes made from other materials. hence, the early offerings included a carbon fiber bicycle, an easton scandium bicycle and a titanium bicycle.

pinarello no longer enjoys this relationship with dedaccai and has now sought other suppliers for almost all of its building materials. opera now serves as a brand of basically re-badged pinarello models. my suspicion is that it allows pinarello to place bicycles in bike shops within close proximity to one another particularly in europe without angering the shop owners....eg. one shop will sell pinarello and one shop will sell opera.

the jerk is a huge fan of certain opera bikes. the original giorgione was basically a prince ls made out of easton scandium. a perfectly flawless bike in terms of ride quality and rigidity and very light weight as well. pinarello to a certain extent gambled and lost with the hydro-formed alloy bikes; they tended to be really expensive, fairly harsh riding and pretty heavy. consumers were also put off by the most bb. pinarello has removed the paris from their line-up but one must wonder why opera is still saddled with this unsuccessful concept.

that being said, the jerk loves the opera giorgione hydro and the paris fp. both bikes are stiff, powerful and ride wonderfully. they're just priced that most pina-philes opted for the paris of leonardo fp instead; although ithe jerk'd much rather have the alloy bike!

jerk
the jerk is always right!
the jerk thinks your stem is too short!

TheFatGuy

by TheFatGuy

Thanks- that helped big time.

Also- LJ, I hope you did not take too much offense at my comment aimed towards you in an ealier thread- I was kidding and I do not doubt that you work very hard doing whatever it is that you do to provide yourself with such fine bicycles.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

jerk wrote:
the jerk is a huge fan of certain opera bikes. the original giorgione was basically a prince ls made out of easton scandium. a perfectly flawless bike in terms of ride quality and rigidity and very light weight as well. pinarello to a certain extent gambled and lost with the hydro-formed alloy bikes; they tended to be really expensive, fairly harsh riding and pretty heavy. consumers were also put off by the most bb. pinarello has removed the paris from their line-up but one must wonder why opera is still saddled with this unsuccessful concept.
jerk

When Team Fakta rode the Opera Giorgione, they broke a huge amount of them. I have personally seen four or five that were broken at the BB/chainstay junction.

But it´s my feeling that it was a good frame, but with some flaws.