On One/Planet X Free Ranger

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

emotive

by emotive

saldegracia wrote:man, on the Carbonda website there is a size 61 of this frame...geometry sounds perfect for me...the biggest one they sall at PlanetX is 58...
There are a lot of other brands selling this frame. Maybe check if they offer a 61cm?

Ridley Kanzo, Pearl, Obed, Vitus, Boltcutter etc.

by Weenie

saldegracia

by saldegracia

emotive wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:09 am
saldegracia wrote:man, on the Carbonda website there is a size 61 of this frame...geometry sounds perfect for me...the biggest one they sall at PlanetX is 58...
There are a lot of other brands selling this frame. Maybe check if they offer a 61cm?

Ridley Kanzo, Pearl, Obed, Vitus, Boltcutter etc.
too late :) Already got me a Fuji Jari Carbon a couple of months ago, which I really like...but I was looking at the Planet X and discarded it because the 58 looked a little small for my taste...everything else I quite liked....but good to know for the next bike purchase ;)
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

niklasp

by niklasp

The free ranger is bang for the buck, but recently planet x sold them for 200 GBP less than their black friday offer so I didn't order one. The frame from China and a groupset is the same price as a complete bike. It's like a CX in fork angle and height, I thought cyclocross bikes was useless as gravel bikes 🤷.

The carbonda 696 is sold as many models ...

dunkdafunk

by dunkdafunk

Quick update... Had the Free Ranger a couple of weeks now and am really happy with it.

For the money it's amazing value and comes with a decent spec. I've changed the normal cheap/heavy junk (saddle, seatpost, stem, bars) over to lighter bit's I had and have changed the chainset due to needing a longer length (172.5 -> 175) so went for the SRAM Force one as this is 200g lighter.

I've got 55mm wide mudguards that fit right up into the fork/frame so I can probably get 45mm ish tyres on if wanted. I'm running 35mm Schwalbe g-one speed tyres in road setup which are super comfy due to using lower pressures.

I'll get it weighed when I get a chance but I expect it to be around 8.7kg without guards which for a large/56cm gravel bike with big tyres/tubes is pretty decent :)

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Glad you're enjoying it.
I've also had mine for a couple of weeks and really rate the frame.

All up inc mudguards, wahoo, bottle cage and 700-40s I'm exactly 8kg.
I put some gorilla tape around the door under the BB as it was getting covered in crap after every ride.
It sealed the joins so there's no chance anything is getting to the cables.

dunkdafunk

by dunkdafunk

Good idea on the Gorilla tape. I'll get that sorted.

What sort of spec are you running to be down at 8kg (with all your winter bits on)?

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

dunkdafunk wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:00 pm
Good idea on the Gorilla tape. I'll get that sorted.

What sort of spec are you running to be down at 8kg (with all your winter bits on)?
Really nothing special, just bits from my parts box's.

Reynolds atr wheels, Terra speed 40c tyres.
Cinelli 180g bar, uno 110mm stem.
Juin callipers with force cx1 shifters.
Cx1 PF30 crank with 46t direct mount chainring.
110g saddle.
Elta one seatpost.

Modified sks speedrocker mudguards which are about 270g

I just put together what I had and that's probably how it will stay for the winter.