converting propel disc from 140mm to 160mm rotors

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

tomee

by tomee

anyone here fitted 160mm front disc rotors to a Giant Propel?
They are fitted with 140mm front and rear from factory and Giant made it have a propietry mount for the front fork.
wondering if i could just swap it out with a Shimano convertor?

jlok

by jlok

Yes, you can. Done that before.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

tomee

by tomee

jlok wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:39 am
would i remove the propietry giant mount and replace it with the Shimano mount, or can i pop the shimano adapter on top of it?

ruklaw

by ruklaw

I'd try rotating the mount you have first (unscrew the mount, unscrew the caliper from the mount, rotate the mount 180 degrees and screw the caliper back onto it, screw it onto the frame).

If it's possible to use the shimano mount it's hard to imagine how the Giant one could work but not accomodate the same rotation that the shimano one does.

Just in case you aren't aware, with the standard shimano front flat mount, one way up is for 140mm rotors, the other way up is for 160mm.

jlok

by jlok

tomee wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:22 am
jlok wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:39 am
would i remove the propietry giant mount and replace it with the Shimano mount, or can i pop the shimano adapter on top of it?
You need to replace the Giant brake mount with the Shimano mount.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jlok

by jlok

ruklaw wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:43 am
I'd try rotating the mount you have first (unscrew the mount, unscrew the caliper from the mount, rotate the mount 180 degrees and screw the caliper back onto it, screw it onto the frame).

If it's possible to use the shimano mount it's hard to imagine how the Giant one could work but not accomodate the same rotation that the shimano one does.

Just in case you aren't aware, with the standard shimano front flat mount, one way up is for 140mm rotors, the other way up is for 160mm.
Maybe you could take a closer look before advising rotation of the mount... the Giant mount is actually flush with the fork. You won't want to do it unless you want a funny looking protrusion of the mount.

ruklaw

by ruklaw

jlok wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:08 pm
ruklaw wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:43 am

Maybe you could take a closer look before advising rotation of the mount... the Giant mount is actually flush with the fork. You won't want to do it unless you want a funny looking protrusion of the mount.
Nothing that can't be fixed with a hacksaw then LOL

jlok

by jlok

Pretty true, and it shaves grams!

Patb095

by Patb095

ruklaw wrote:I'd try rotating the mount you have first (unscrew the mount, unscrew the caliper from the mount, rotate the mount 180 degrees and screw the caliper back onto it, screw it onto the frame).

Exactly, I went shopping bike at a giant dealer 1 mont ago and they said the exact same thing.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

bas

by bas

You need a Giant mount, the Shimano mounts do not work on the fork. I wanted to put a 160 on the front when I got my bike and was told I couldn't do it. But suddenly the 2020 models have 160 rotors...have ordered the 160 fork mount from Giant, you should be able to order from your bike shop.

jlok

by jlok

160mm rotor on 2018 Propel Disc with Shimano mount.
160mm rotor on 2018 Propel Disc with Shimano mount.

tomee

by tomee

bas wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:14 am
You need a Giant mount, the Shimano mounts do not work on the fork. I wanted to put a 160 on the front when I got my bike and was told I couldn't do it. But suddenly the 2020 models have 160 rotors...have ordered the 160 fork mount from Giant, you should be able to order from your bike shop.
no, you don't. i just did this today. Thanks to jlok for confirming
Also for those that are saying you can just flip the Giant propietry mount are wrong also.

stock giant mount for 140mm

mount removed. you can see you cant just flip it around for 160mm rotors.

Shimano mount installed

also converted the rears to 160mm

Seven1816

by Seven1816

Nice Job! Good pics always thought Giants with 140mm fronts looked a tad anaemic.

by Weenie