Scott Addict RC30 (2020) - Strip & Rebuild

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Having been about to pull the trigger on a Venge, last minute change of heart and went for a new Addict (56cm) which is better suited to my riding and preferred the colour.

Plan is to take off mechanical Ultegra and rebuild with DA Di2. Aim to make it as light as possible.

My plan wasn’t to strip it entirely but given there long wait on the Creston bars and that brake hoses had been set up Euro style, took everything off.

Initial weights 902g (including hanger but no bearings); fork 374g including cover

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Beancouter on Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Other weights. The integration parts are a killer! The Creston bars will help ....

by Weenie

Maddie

by Maddie

Very interesting, will watch out for this since I like the look of this frame. Good luck for the build!

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Based on my spreadsheet, with full DA (sram red cassette) and farsports 45mm clinchers, 6.6kg should be possible. Any less is going to get expensive!!

pmprego

by pmprego

Beancouter wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:36 pm
Based on my spreadsheet, with full DA (sram red cassette) and farsports 45mm clinchers, 6.6kg should be possible. Any less is going to get expensive!!

Niiiice

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

that bar and stem are crazy heavy. wow.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

FactoryMatt wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:23 am

Yeah, um, this whole thing about the Addict RC fitting his style of riding better. Seems like it's just as heavy as a Venge...

pmprego

by pmprego

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:54 am
FactoryMatt wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:23 am

Yeah, um, this whole thing about the Addict RC fitting his style of riding better. Seems like it's just as heavy as a Venge...
He's going to swap for the integrated cockpit which is where Scott really saved some weight.

As for the comparison with the venge, I also love the venge but where I live they are in two different segments price wise. the venge frame+cockpit being almost double in price to the addict.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

3500 for scott frame plus ic bars is an amazing deal.

6.6 would be incredible if you can get there.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

FactoryMatt wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:48 am
3500 for scott frame plus ic bars is an amazing deal.

6.6 would be incredible if you can get there.

He should be able to.

I hit 6.4kg with the Emonda and it started out about 175g lighter for the frame/fork. I used a Bontrager XXX saddle (67g,) Bontrager XXX bar/stem (252g,) Zipp 202 NSW wheels (1475g,) Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik TLR tires (220g/ea,) SRAM Red eTap and Shift-Up TAs. Could have gone with lighter wheels for sure. The Emonda does have a light ISM/seatcap setup though.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

The slightly longer story, venge v addict:

- wanted fully integrated disc Frame, aero would be good but didn’t want a boat anchor
- Venge fitted bill; wasn’t in love with any colour ways (black or white frame only) and thought it looked best with deep profiles. I am going to run 45mm
- Side by side reviews of venge v SL6 seemed to conclude that SL6 Plus aero bars lost little to the venge in aero and was a better all around package.
- Like SL6 but not fully integrated and highly sloping top tube leaves me with 26cm of exposed seatpost, which I don’t like. SL7 will fix the integration but most probably not change the geo.
- Oh, And Spec venge plus aero bar £3,600 (with LBS discount)

So Scott:
- Frame finish and colour ways are first class. Personally, I think they are way nicer than the Spec - the ones I have seen IRL look amazing and photos just do them justice. The red for example isn’t red through my eyes - it’s more a dark burnt orange and looks stunning.
- I like the overall design brief. Mechanical integration is a great idea - whilst I am going Di2, should help resale when time comes
- Frameset Plus Carbon integrated bar weigh roughly in line withSL6
- I got the RC with a healthy discount, fully built bike £2,600. By the time I flip the groupo, wheelset and other bits I don’t need, net cost should be £1,500.
- That just left me with fully integrated bars to buy. Had they been available, the bike would now be built. I am now considering the Farsports F1. Lighter, possibly more aero and less expensive. Trouble is the integration parts for the RC are “due in 2020” according to Kyle ..... theoretically, the Creston are due Feb, but led to believe Scott a bit flaky when it comes to inventory and delivery times.

So, there it is! Need to concentrate on my zwift group ride before I get dropped .....

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Oh, and until I see IRL frame weights, I remain highly sceptical the ultimate frameset is going to be lighter. Whilst they refer to HMX SL, which meant something in yesteryear, Scott rarely (if ever) explain it on their current ranges.

Put another way, it is materially better, The Pro team didn’t seem to mind when they used it last year....

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Hi,
there seems to be faulty detail in your spreadsheet, "Frame, incl bearings and hanger 902 gr." is inconsistent with info in first post.
regards,

Beancouter

by Beancouter

You’re correct - was doing it on my phone - wil fix later

by Weenie

Neillp

by Neillp

Following this thread with interest as looking at doing something similar but want to see one in the flesh first, where did you manage to get such a good discount?
Cheers
Neill