Mavic ID360 freehub reassembly woes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xcnick

by xcnick

Just replaced the hub bearings in this 2017 cosmic carbon wheel with an ID360 hub. Reassembly is seemingly straight forward although with too many parts and a crappy spring clip. But when together the freehub doesn’t ratchet properly (locks up) or when you push the freehub body against the hub and twist it, it’s very rough and doesn’t freewheel properly.
When the slightly coned washer is left out (the first part of item 6) it operates as it should. The picture doesn’t show it as being coned and it doesn’t feel like it naturally sits against the other parts but that’s where it came from.
Can anyone help??
This should have been a 15 minute job I’m going mad!

ImageImage

muti

by muti

The spacer should be placed so the "coned"side is facing inwards(towards the bearing).As I see in the picture,you are placing it the opposite way.Be careful also to apply a very "light"grease.I hope that helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xcnick

by xcnick

Last edited by xcnick on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xcnick

by xcnick

I’ve also tried that. That coned washer does not allow the castellated piece to sit low enough to get the circlip in and that’s what’s causing the freehub to lock up. I’ve removed and measured the bearing against the original one. I even fitted the original bearing incase the new one was causing the problem. The bearing is fully seated into the hub. I left the coned washer out and reassembled and it goes together perfectly and functions perfectly with no play. Clearly something is amiss though? I can’t find any other info online. There a disassembly video on YouTube but it’s poor quality and you can’t really see which way that washer sits.
It’s is basically the same as this ENVE diagram, they even call it the ID360, but that washer isn’t there?!?!

https://www.enve.com/en/journal/behind- ... road-hubs/

watchdog

by watchdog

Just wondered whether there are any further developments with the id360 freehub problem. I have a mavic cosmic wheel with the id360 freehub set and have renewed all the parts except the spindle. It seems to rotate freely and correctly until i install on the bike but then it causes all sorts of problems with the deraillieur springing backwards and forwards and the chain coming off.

watchdog

by watchdog

Just wondered whether there are any further developments with the id360 freehub problem. I have a mavic cosmic wheel with the id360 freehub set and have renewed all the parts except the spindle. It seems to rotate freely and correctly until i install on the bike but then it causes all sorts of problems with the deraillieur springing backwards and forwards and the chain coming off.

C36

by C36

Difficult to say at distance, but that sounds like you have an interference between 2 parts that shouldn't be touching during free wheeling. Did you have someone with experience on this hub type looking into it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

watchdog

by watchdog

Must admit i changed the parts myself. I managed to strip the hub fairly easy and phtographed the parts as i took them out. I then replaced the parts in reversed order which is identical to the drawing in the post above. The freehub appears to work, albeit noisy but when i stop pedelling the spring on the deraillieur kicks in and throws the chain. Think i will take the bike into the LBS who are also Shimano Service Agents and see what they think.