Impressive disaster for my Campy SR12sp EPS RD

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
groover08

by groover08

Hello, colleagues. Everything was operating perfectly for 84 km into a 90 km ride when I heard a loud “ping” and my rear wheel locked up. Take a look at what happened to my RD. I was in the lowest gear climbing a hill at the time. I’ve not knocked or hit the RD at all and in fact, I’ve handled the bike with kid gloves for the two weeks I’ve had it. I’ve not even removed the rear wheel once. Anyway, it is with the shop now.

Can anyone offer some educated guesses about what might have happened? I appreciate your insight. Thank you.
Attachments
91074D0B-DB97-4382-A558-195045464353.jpeg
E8539CE2-4BA7-4F9D-8837-266A49452970.jpeg
3AF2DB3A-E080-4DC2-B38B-95B16C8817F4.jpeg

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Wrong adjustment?

by Weenie

whyamihere

by whyamihere

Looks like it shifted over the back of the cassette, the chain got caught and pulled everything around. This suggests that the limit screws were not properly set.

Calnago

by Calnago

Yeah, deraiileur went into the spokes (that was the “ping” you heard). From that point on disaster struck and it’s where it is now.
Why? My guess is poor initial setup. Sounds like it’s only two weeks old. Climbing a hill in your lowest gear is the situation with the highest potential for this to happen. Whoever set it up may have forgotten to set the low limit screw once they were done, or just set things up very poorly from the get go. A misaligned or bent hanger could contribute as well but that’s certainly the first thing that should have been checked before even attaching the derailleur. Because you’ve said it’s been treated with kid gloves since you got it and not banged around and it happened within a couple weeks of you taking delivery I would, based on the information you’ve provided, place the responsibility on whoever set it up. Even though you say you’ve never removed the rear wheel, a somewhat loose rear skewer may have allowed things to move around a bit as well. Impossible to say definitively, but is the shop taking responsibility? I think if not, they should be able to give a pretty rational explanation why not. Show them this post if you’re not very mechanically inclined yourself.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

groover08

by groover08

Thank you for the detailed response. I’ll wait to see what the shop says, and I now have something solid to discuss with them.

gurk700

by gurk700

See my thread about never buying from a bike shop anymore ;)
Sorry you had to go through this.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

gurk700 wrote:See my thread about never buying from a bike shop anymore ;)
Nothing like tarring all shops with the same brush, eh? Just as customers come on all shapes & sizes, so do shops. Some shouldn’t be in business, many are professional & experienced. Let’s hope you don’t judge every person you meet in the the same myopic way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gurk700

by gurk700

ultimobici wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:22 pm
gurk700 wrote:See my thread about never buying from a bike shop anymore ;)
Nothing like tarring all shops with the same brush, eh? Just as customers come on all shapes & sizes, so do shops. Some shouldn’t be in business, many are professional & experienced. Let’s hope you don’t judge every person you meet in the the same myopic way.

I don't. And I state that in my thread. I'm sure there's amazing ones out there. As for me, someone who can build and work on his own bike, I'm never taking the chance again to find that 1 good one out of 99 horrible ones. Not worth it. I'll keep my cash and spend my valuable time (as having to go to a shop multiple times cause they can't get it right the first visit wastes more time anyway)

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

@OP

Sorry to see this :( Where you standing/pushing massive watts? I once had a chain drop too but managed to stop pedalling immediately and all that happened was a few scratches on the spokes. I had worked on the derailleur at home and got the limit screw wrong. When I start suffering on a climb I periodically try to shift even if I well know i'm at the end of the cassette. One of those lever pushes sent off the chain but as I said I stopped in time. Turned the limit screw a little bit and all was fine.

groover08

by groover08

That’s the odd thing - I wasn’t pushing any big watts. I was riding uphill but at low power.

morrisond

by morrisond

At least it looks like your frame is okay. Is it?

groover08

by groover08

It is, thanks for asking. There are a few small cosmetic scratches but it is otherwise fine.

Calnago

by Calnago

The derailleur hanger didn’t break? And you don’t have to be pushing big watts if the limit screw isn’t set properly. If the pulley catches a spoke, it’s going to pull it around. Also, I don’t know how “flexy those wheels are, but sometimes there’s not much clearance between the spokes and the derailleur cage. Plus, the lower profile rims will mean that the bracing angle of the drive side spoke is shallow, meaning that it will end up even closer to the cage than if the rim was of a deep profile. When you get it back put it in the small chain ring/ big cog combo and just check how much clearance there is and whether the limit screw is adjusted properly. Also, there’s often a warning if it’s close because you’ll get some light “pinging” when it’s in the small ring big cog as the passing spokes graze against the cage. If you hear that you know it’s dangerously close to the spokes and you should check things closer and adjust if need be.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It requires more than the derailleur rub the spokes. On one old 6 speed bike with old camtatnolo, the rd won't shift into the largest 18t sprocket unless you shift into the spokes so it rubs. Hanger is straight too, hense the silent tat. Even then never has the rd ripped off. You have to get the rd into the spokes not just rubbing and that means the hanger bent either through poor initial setup or it could be your wheels.

I have this on one bike with 11 speed eps. Testing a wheel with a shimano freehub wheel on it (I know) there is derailleur rub on the spokes. Some hubs with the ds flsnge pushed out a bit may have derailleur clearance issues and need the rd limit stop adjusted in slightly from where it you think it should be. The wheel in question used my new rim brake hub so I think I have to move the ds flange in a bit. There is no issue with shimano or sram just campy eps.
This is also why testing stuff is important.

So it probably is setup and maybe for the reason I have explained. Worth looking at.

by Weenie

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Damn, hope you can get something sorted.
As others said it looks like limit adjuster screw.
Hopefully the bike shop will take some ownership.