Rim tape for clinchers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I like clinchers and latex tubes. I slso like light, but durable. I have no interest in tubless at the moment.

What tape do you guys suggest? The rim strips are 28g each.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Maybe try Velocity Veloplugs? 6.5g for 48 holes. Not sure how these play with latex tubes or your rims, though. If that doesn't work out, strapping or masking tape is a great option too at about the same weight.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

2 wraps of green poly tape / green powder coat masking tape is like 9 grams per wheel.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Found the Poly tape - but in 0.06mm or 0.09mm. It's worth a try though in 0.09mm with € 15,- for 66 mtrs and available in every with you want. Think I will order 17 or 18mm for my Zipp clinchers.

Marin

by Marin

I use 1 layer of Tesa 4289 for tubeless and for Latex. No issues, very light.

If I ran high pressures ( > 7bar) I'd consider 2 layers.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Veloplugs are a good idea but I found the chinese copies are even better. They fit more hole diameters and they don't fall out when replacing a tube.

Imagine swapping a tube roadside and have the new one pop right away because one little plastic thing fell off the rim.

When running plugs you need to inspect the rim bed more carefully. There can be no sharp edges. Grind 'em away if you find any.

photek

by photek

Klaster_1 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:13 am
Maybe try Velocity Veloplugs? 6.5g for 48 holes. Not sure how these play with latex tubes or your rims, though. If that doesn't work out, strapping or masking tape is a great option too at about the same weight.
+1

Just make sure they are fitted clean with no sharp edges, I've had no issues using them with lightweight Tubolito tubes (38g)
2019 Trek Emonda SLR, SRAM eTap groupset, eeBrakes G4, Berk Lupina Saddle, TUNE Schwarzbrenner 60mm wheelset - 6.4 kg

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:35 am
2 wraps of green poly tape / green powder coat masking tape is like 9 grams per wheel.
Do you mean green painters tape?

MikeD

by MikeD

What's wrong with good old fashioned Velox tape? Too heavy?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nothing’s wrong with Velox tape except it’s relatively thick compared to say something like Stans Notubes tape. With all the “tubeless compatible” rims these days, the fit can be extremely tight so you need ever bit of help you can get. I’m not sure if Campy still offers both Clincher and Two Way Fit versions of their alloy rims, but with the regular Clincher version I could mount a tire by hand. If I was looking for a Clincher rim now, I would want to be able to remove and replace a tire easily on the road.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MikeD

by MikeD

Calnago wrote:Nothing’s wrong with Velox tape except it’s relatively thick compared to say something like Stans Notubes tape. With all the “tubeless compatible” rims these days, the fit can be extremely tight so you need ever bit of help you can get. I’m not sure if Campy still offers both Clincher and Two Way Fit versions of their alloy rims, but with the regular Clincher version I could mount a tire by hand. If I was looking for a Clincher rim now, I would want to be able to remove and replace a tire easily on the road.
With rim brakes, I'd be concerned with plastic tape melting under heavy braking if you ride steep, technical terrain (powder coat tape is probably OK, as its made to take the heat). I've melted plastic rim strips before.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’ve never heard of melting a plastic rim strip before. My clinchers have typically had velox tape, but new clinchers with no spoke holes don’t need any tape at all. I haven’t heard of any tubeless users melting the rim tape either, but I suppose under the right conditions...?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I figure my latex tubes make a good “canary in the coal mine” for heat. If they pop from heat.... time to use different rim tape.

Valy

by Valy

MikeD wrote:
Calnago wrote:Nothing’s wrong with Velox tape except it’s relatively thick compared to say something like Stans Notubes tape. With all the “tubeless compatible” rims these days, the fit can be extremely tight so you need ever bit of help you can get. I’m not sure if Campy still offers both Clincher and Two Way Fit versions of their alloy rims, but with the regular Clincher version I could mount a tire by hand. If I was looking for a Clincher rim now, I would want to be able to remove and replace a tire easily on the road.
With rim brakes, I'd be concerned with plastic tape melting under heavy braking if you ride steep, technical terrain (powder coat tape is probably OK, as its made to take the heat). I've melted plastic rim strips before.
Did they actually melt or just fail?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

Valy wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Did they actually melt or just fail?
Melted at a spoke hole and extruded into the rim. Tube failed at that location. Happened on my road and mountain bike. Specialized red plastic rim strips. This was a long time ago, but since then I've used only Velox on my rim braked bikes except for my tubeless rim braked gravel bike where I'm using Stan's tape.

People have failed carbon rims on Levi's Gran Fondo in Sonoma County where I had the failure on a road in that area, so it's logical that one can melt rim strips / tape under the right conditions. Latex tubes are also prone to failure from heat.