Garmin Edge 530/830 Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

ryanw

by ryanw

I’m having to disconnect my phone from my 830 (on the 830), and then reconnect for my rides to upload.

Amazing how 3 years ago, my Edge 1000 worked perfectly. Well done Garmin...
'16 Cervelo S5 - 6.65kg RIP
'19 Cervelo S5 Disc - 7.25kg
‘20 Allez Sprint Disc - 7.60kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

My issue is a bit different from everyone else’s. I don’t carry my phone while riding. I wear an Apple Watch. Upon returning home and within BT range the 830 doesn’t connect to the phone unless I manually open up GC. It looks like if you do carry a phone you’ll have a good BT connection but the ride won’t upload. Good grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

otoman

by otoman

Juanmoretime wrote:I went in to settings and got it figured out. Had to do the same with autostop. Garmin needs to work on when you have a new unit it transfers the setting from the old unit via Garmin connect.
This would be amazing, including screen setups
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

I was doing nice loop from Zernez (CH) to Zernez with 6 climbs that went up to 2000m. Unfortunately my Garmin 530 somehow failed twice. First it reported an elevation that was 550m too high (it showed 2700m at the Ofenpass which is about 2150). I restarted the unit and it reported something more realistic after that. A few hours later we got into a big downpour that lasted for about 90min and the barometric got clocked up and reported nonse again.

My buddie, who rode with me, had the same problem, but told me that his old garmin 810 had a "recalculate elevation" function. I couldn't find something similar on my Garmin 530 though. Is there a chance, either on strava or the garmin itself to repair the file based on GPS data?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Juanmoretime wrote:I was in Chicago visiting family this past weekend. The odometer at some point stop advancing and my avearge speed went down. After about 8 km it starting picking up signal. It seems kind of hard to believe I would loose both regular GPS and Glasnost at the same time.
Should have switched to Perestroika then! ;)

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Has anyone any recommendations for screen protectors for Garmin touchscreens? Tia

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Came back from vacation (no bike) and went out for a ride. I guess garmin must've done something with their software/firmware because my phone is connecting to the 830 and text messages were displaying on the garmin screen. Nice feature especially when it's really windy or there's road noise because I don't always hear it in my back pocket.
Speedplay is the devil!

kytyree

by kytyree

The 830 wasn't already doing text messages? The 520+ plus has always had them as far as I know, even Whatsapp works now.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Juanmoretime wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:53 pm
I guess I could read the manual and have played with the settings. Still does not automatically upload to GC. Does anyone know how to turn off the lap feature on the 530? I find it mildly annoying.

You turn off the auto-lap feature within each activity profile under the menu option for automatic features. You can also turn off sharp turn warnings.

For auto-uploading via BT sometimes I have to toggle BT on the phone. Otherwise WiFi seems to work pretty reliably.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Easily solved. 830 or a leash.

Sorry about the bad luck.

Sojodave

by Sojodave

I'm contemplating the Garmin 830 or the Wahoo Roam. My main reason of switching from my current Bolt is to get directions off route back to the route. This last year, I got lost ore times than I care to count. Has anyone used their Garmin 830 for the re-routing feature to get back on route?

fxx

by fxx

Sojodave wrote:I'm contemplating the Garmin 830 or the Wahoo Roam. My main reason of switching from my current Bolt is to get directions off route back to the route. This last year, I got lost ore times than I care to count. Has anyone used their Garmin 830 for the re-routing feature to get back on route?
Doesn't the Element Roam have rerouting features too?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have not used that re-routing feature but I can say that I bought the 830 the day it came into the store. I've owned the 705, 800, and 820. The 830 has been rock solid and I have never had any issues what so ever.

If Garmin keeps making products like this, their call center will have to start laying off people.

dim

by dim

not an 830 or 530, but I have an Edge 1000 that is struggling to find sattelites .... I have loaded the latest software, connected to Garmin Connect and Garmin Express and for the past week, on a 10km commute ride, if it records for 3km I am lucky

I've had this problem for a few months now and even tried a factory reset this week to no avail .... any advice before I bin it?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've heard of this problem in the past. When you say you tried a factory reset, what do you mean? There are several types of resets. Try the master reset, as provided in these instructions, and see if the problem comes back (note that you're supposed to leave the Edge outside for 20 minutes, to find the satellites).

https://www.gpsnation.com/support/gps-f ... reset.html
Madone 9 - https://bit.ly/2Nqedbn
Emonda SLR - https://bit.ly/2UK5FP8
Crockett - https://bit.ly/2Xem4sk

Madone 5, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.