Record EPS v3 rear shift problem

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
shamrock134

by shamrock134

Has anybody experienced an issue shifting up from the lowest gear to the second lowest gear? So in this case 29T to 26T. I'd say maybe more than 50% of the time it won't do anything when I press the thumb shifter. When it finally works, it shifts back down again absolutely fine. It also shifts fine if I do 2nd to 3rd sprocket or any other single sprocket upshift/downshift.

Firmware is all up to date and the limits set.

So in short, thumb shifts aren't being consistently registered when I start in the lowest gear, but it's fine anywhere else on the cassette.

Any ideas?

Cheers

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

I’ve experienced this exacting issue. It was resolved by finely adjusting the limit screw. I adjusted it so that the derailleur limit was decreased. In other words, the derailleur could not move as far towards the spokes.

Hope this helps.

by Weenie

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

I would also charge the battery to eliminate another possible culprit.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I think the OP’s case is the opposite. Could be that the top pulley is too close to the biggest cog. In that case, tightening the screw at close to the pulley cage until there’s enough clearance should solve the problem.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

SuperflyRick

by SuperflyRick

For how long have you been using the RD, mine was just sent back to the distributor for replacement bushings in the deraileur. If you grab the cage is there play between the cage and the derailleur? Then its the same problem.

SuperflyRick

by SuperflyRick

For how long have you been using the RD, mine was just sent back to the distributor for replacement bushings in the deraileur. If you grab the cage is there play between the cage and the derailleur? Then its the same problem.

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

From my experience, the issue was electronic. It’s not as if the button is pressed, the rear derailleur moves, but the chain hesitated to drop to the next gear. I pressed the shift button and it did not shift at all. A second button pressed shifted the derailleur without fuss, noise, etc.

I’d like to add that when in this state, I tried to shift back to the second lowest cog immediately after shifting to the lowest cog.

shamrock134

by shamrock134

FlemishCompact wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:03 pm
From my experience, the issue was electronic. It’s not as if the button is pressed, the rear derailleur moves, but the chain hesitated to drop to the next gear. I pressed the shift button and it did not shift at all. A second button pressed shifted the derailleur without fuss, noise, etc.

I’d like to add that when in this state, I tried to shift back to the second lowest cog immediately after shifting to the lowest cog.
Yes, this describes my problem except sometimes I can press the thumb button like 10 times and nothing happens. Wait a few seconds, press again and it will shift first time. This ONLY occurs when starting in the lowest gear.

You say issue is electronic but resolved by adjusting the limit screw?

FlemishCompact

by FlemishCompact

Yes I say electronic because I suspect that eps detected that it’s somehow outside the cassette range and prevents shifting to protect itself for s moment.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I had this problem on one of my EPS bikes and it was as FlemishCompact describes. My understanding is that if the limit screw is fractionally too far in, the position resolver doesn't properly 'register' that the chain is on the biggest sprocket, even though it physically is. Thus, it takes at least one extra press on the shift button to get it to downshift.

Back off the limit screw a tiny bit at a time, say a quarter of a turn at the very most (obviously you don't want to hit the spokes) until it shifts normally from lowest to second lowest.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I believe I have had this issue, but with a 12-25 cassette. If the limit screw is adjusted too tight, when the derailluer is shifted to the top gear, it will not see the full travel it should be [because the limit screw is keeping it from moving all the way]. When this occurs, it takes a bit of time before the 'system' will allow you to shift down.

I hope I'm making sense but either way, adjust the limit screw about a 1/4 turn so the derailleur will go further in.

From what I recall, the full travel screw is just in case there is a real big issue and will prevent the derailluer from hitting the spokes. If the system is working properly it will never hit it. I'm sure Graeme will pull my head out if I'm wrong.

by Weenie

shamrock134

by shamrock134

Thanks everyone. Backing the screw off a bit seems to have sorted it.