How to spot counterfeit/fake products?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Konsi

by Konsi

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:52 pm
Konsi wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:11 pm
For this case I contacted 3T and they confirmed that it is fake. They send me an internal PDF with other possible hints at fake bars (and I asked them if I can share it here).
Hopefully you reported the seller to Ebay?
Curious to know what would be considered to good to be true? Case in point, I have been slowly scaling back our N+1 supply of bikes, and have several used items from Enve, Fabric, and FSA I plan to sell on Ebay. In this case, simply trying reduce the clutter of spare parts collecting dust in the workshop, so in light of the thread title, would listing these things with super low prices be a red falg for most?
Yes, of course I filed a report, not sure if anything came out of it. It is less of a red flag for me if you take your own photos, and if you don't have like 12 similar items for sale.

joejack951

by joejack951

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:52 pm
Curious to know what would be considered to good to be true? Case in point, I have been slowly scaling back our N+1 supply of bikes, and have several used items from Enve, Fabric, and FSA I plan to sell on Ebay. In this case, simply trying reduce the clutter of spare parts collecting dust in the workshop, so in light of the thread title, would listing these things with super low prices be a red falg for most?
Like selling a car where you want to show how up to date the maintenance is or show upgrades that might be hidden inside an engine, offer to show receipts proving you bought the items from legitimate sellers. Assuming you purchased the items online, you should be able to find invoices. Sure, this stuff can be faked, too, but most crooks looking to make a cheap buck wouldn't bother exerting that much effort.

by Weenie

ms6073

by ms6073

I would agree, but last year when I listed an Enve Road Handlebar on Ebay, I was asked by a couple members for if they were fake.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Pay the higher price from places like star bike or fair wheel. You get the real thing and peace of mind. eBay is worthless when it comes to reporting people.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

but guys, Konsi's asking about getting stuff cheap, not "over-paying" at a boutique lbs :wink:

my two cents: I once bought 2nd hand, barely used FSA Plasma integrated bars at a bike shop, from one of the owners (they were too long for him or smth like that). if I recall correctly I paid like 40% less than msrp* and was really happy with this purchase

after like two or three years I listed the bike on ebay and decided to sell the bars separtely. it wasn't until then till I discovered they were fake - one of the guys I knew who came to see them for himself showed me how to distinguish original FSA Plasma from fakes - mine were the latter... obviously I went to the shop pretty damn mad, but a shoulder shrug was all I got. knowing they're fake 3rd hand bars (although in perfect shape and they really delivered - stiff, comfy, pretty light - all the qualities I was looking for) I traded with a dude for a 2nd hand Kit Carbonio. afaik he was very pleased with them too, and my guess is they must've came from the same factory as original bars..

*a common 'trick' for shop owners/employees here is getting stuff for themselves without having to pay VAT tax - I don't know how it works exactly but they can buy a limited amount like this, hence even shitty shop owners often ride great bikes. and if you're best buds with them, you can buy barely used gear from them for pennies too
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Konsi

by Konsi

The thread is more than a year old at this point :P I ended up getting a voucher from a bike store because something else went wrong, and used it to buy 3T carbon bars from the store. And now also found a place where I can trade photos for bike parts ;)

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

lol stuff people dig up out of boredom
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.