Vittoria Graphene 2.0

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

oskeres wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:33 am
Just wondering if anyone has been riding the Tubular verisons of the 2.0 tire? I've been looking at getting them for my 404 Firecrests that I will be racing on crits and road races. Thoughts from anyone?
I have, I prefer the Turbo Tubular in a 26c. It doesn't feel like it slides as much and feels a bit softer over bumps.

andreas

by andreas

As this was to be the first day of my road biking season, I decided to put new tubeless tires on my Roval CL 50 rims, Vittoria Corsa Control Graphene 2.0 TLR.
The previous tires, GP5000S TL have been a breeze to both install (didn't even need sealant to seat) and ride.

The Vittoria's vent on the rim very easy, but I can't for the life of me manage to get them to seat. I've tried:
* TL pump with a pressure chamber/"airshot" solution
* CO2 canister
* Abundant amounts of sealant
* Tried the "tire lever trick", i.e. trying to hook the tire to the beads around the valve before inflating
* Pre-inflated it with a tube (they seat at around 5-6 bar)

I don't have access to a compressor without taking the bike on a bus ride, which is not recommended in these times.
Any other tricks in the book to make it seat?
Last edited by andreas on Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

sethjs

by sethjs

These tires are fantastic. But torture to seat on a Roval. Less so to get seated on an Enve.

It's doable. You need to use every trick. You might want 2 layers of tape. Use soapy water on tire. Put sealant in. Ensure tire beads are around valve stem. Use an airshot canister. Ensure there's no valve core in the valve when you use the airshot.

Eventually it works - I've done it maybe 10 times - but it's a total and complete pain.

andreas

by andreas

Yeah, definately the hardest seating process I've witnessed so far, I won't buy those tires for these rims again. My pump doesn't support inflating it without the valve core, I think i'll go shop for a true airshot solution instead of the one integrated in the pump. Opted for just mashing some tubes in to get out on the road to enjoy the sun :)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

And make sure you get the airshot canister to 160psi, don’t stop at a lower value...at least for 28mm and 30mm Corsas.

ryanw

by ryanw

I've mounted the Corsa TLRs and Control TLRs on Enve 5.6s and 3.4s, and one set of CL50s and they were a piece of cake.

With new tape, valve pushed up and then down against the bead and the tyre sitting centrally, any tyre should go up with an air shot. I now do this with sealant in to make it even easier.

I then quickly take my finger off the valve core after removing air shot, stick the valve in, this keeping the air in the tyre.

Pump up to 100psi and shake it about. Works everytime.
Allez Sprint Disc - 7.60kg
SL7 S-Works - 6.73kg
www.rhinosworkshop.co.uk
IG: RhinosWorkshop

zefs

by zefs

1500km on these tires, no punctures just a few small cuts and no sealant used on Mavic UST

zefs

by zefs

Had this tearing on the Corsa g2, the bead was alright but removed anyway to try the Hutchinson Performance again and funny enough they are softer(even the casing on hand) despite not being 320tpi. Hope everyone is staying safe.

SuperPuppet

by SuperPuppet

Love the G2's. Tried a set of tubs firstly and they were brilliant. Now using the clinchers as well 👍👍👍 Fantastic wear and the road feel is excellent. Using latex tubes in the clinchers and they feel very similar to the tubs. Wouldn't use any other tyre. And yeah, fitting them on my ZIPP 404's is a breeze. Only tyres I have ever been able to mount without a lever.
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2
Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Red eTap AXS
BMC RM01 DA mech
Cannondale CAAD10 Ultegra mech (Zwift bike)

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

My 2 cents... Been running a Corsa on the front and Corsa Control on the rear through the British winter, both in 25mm. They replaced Rubino Pros, and have done just over 2000kms. While the ride feel has been lovely, smooth and grippy, I haven't had the best luck with durability. Both tyres have multiple scars now, and the rear in particular has a gash through the casing and has had 3 (4?) punctures. Not bashing the tyre as the British winter is wet and brings a lot of crap onto the road, so I think they've actually performed not bad for a 'summer' tyre! My biggest surprise is that the Control seems to offer little to no extra puncture protection over the Corsa, with which I still have had zero punctures. Probably will just get two Corsas next time, and there will be a next time. Maybe not through winter though. :lol:
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Agaaaaaaaavé' - 7.5kg
...Work in Progress viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Jackofallgrades wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:38 am
My 2 cents... Been running a Corsa on the front and Corsa Control on the rear through the British winter, both in 25mm. They replaced Rubino Pros, and have done just over 2000kms. While the ride feel has been lovely, smooth and grippy, I haven't had the best luck with durability. Both tyres have multiple scars now, and the rear in particular has a gash through the casing and has had 3 (4?) punctures. Not bashing the tyre as the British winter is wet and brings a lot of crap onto the road, so I think they've actually performed not bad for a 'summer' tyre! My biggest surprise is that the Control seems to offer little to no extra puncture protection over the Corsa, with which I still have had zero punctures. Probably will just get two Corsas next time, and there will be a next time. Maybe not through winter though. :lol:
You will probably hit more debris with the rear wheel compared to the front one, because you can easily manoeuvre around the debris with the front wheel, but the rear one doesn't track the same. This is more apparent when you ride off road, especially on mtb. Also it's easier to lighten the front wheel over debris or cracks compared to the rear one. Plus you have more weight on the rear wheel. All these might be cause of punctures only on the rear wheel.

scapewalker

by scapewalker

sethjs wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:59 pm
These tires are fantastic. But torture to seat on a Roval. Less so to get seated on an Enve.

It's doable. You need to use every trick. You might want 2 layers of tape. Use soapy water on tire. Put sealant in. Ensure tire beads are around valve stem. Use an airshot canister. Ensure there's no valve core in the valve when you use the airshot.

Eventually it works - I've done it maybe 10 times - but it's a total and complete pain.
This hit close to home.

I ended up puncturing yesterday and let's just i ended up stuck by the roadside for 30 minutes, fingers covered in blood because i only had 1 tire lever.....

Fitting them on Rovals is painful to say the least :D

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

I think people should just not use these on Rovals due to the risk of rapid unseating when punctured, and consequently damage to the rim or worse. Mounting process is impossible without airshot and sealant in the tyre.

For Mavic UST rims - these are an excellent choice.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

JayDee81 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:32 am
You will probably hit more debris with the rear wheel compared to the front one, because you can easily manoeuvre around the debris with the front wheel, but the rear one doesn't track the same. This is more apparent when you ride off road, especially on mtb. Also it's easier to lighten the front wheel over debris or cracks compared to the rear one. Plus you have more weight on the rear wheel. All these might be cause of punctures only on the rear wheel.
Absolutely, but I haven't seen this much of a discrepancy in other sets, and purposefully chose the Control in the hope this would counter some of that effect. Certainly in terms of both surface cuts and cuts that go all the way through, it hasn't been noticeably better than Corsas in my experience :noidea:
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Agaaaaaaaavé' - 7.5kg
...Work in Progress viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Jackofallgrades wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:31 pm
JayDee81 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:32 am
Absolutely, but I haven't seen this much of a discrepancy in other sets, and purposefully chose the Control in the hope this would counter some of that effect. Certainly in terms of both surface cuts and cuts that go all the way through, it hasn't been noticeably better than Corsas in my experience :noidea:
Honestly I'd attribute it to pure chance. Most punctures on road are just bad luck anyway.

by Weenie