First powermeter - P2M NgEco / Favero Assioma Duo

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
krisJ

by krisJ

Hi everyone.

I've decided to buy my first powermeter. I had a lot of fun during this winter, training on my kickr Core and being able to see my power outlet and to train around it.

I narrowed it down to the two mentioned in the topic.
https://www.power2max.com/en/product/ng ... crank-set/
Or the Assioma Duo pedals.

I know there's pro's and con's with both, but if anyone has some insightful knowledge about either of them I would be happy to hear about it. Having a rough time making a decision, since it's my first powermeter.

I decided on one of the two, since my budget is around 700 Euro.

My current bike is a Canyon Aeroad CF SLX.

If there's other options in my price range id like to hear about them.

Thanks

/Kris

pedale

by pedale

Are you married to your Shimano or time pedals? If not, the Assioma are extremely good.

by Weenie

krisJ

by krisJ

Defiantly not. I love my Ultegra R8000. Are the assioma's alot different?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

krisJ wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:17 am

SPD-SL pedals are easier to clip into IMO. Some people will say SPD-SL pedals are a wider, more stable platform. Not a good enough reason for me to stick with them when the Assiomas and Vectors are both very good PM options. I also find my pedal PMs to be the most consistent. Spider based PMs can misread if chainring bolts aren't all properly torqued. I find the temperature compensation on my Quarq to cause more dramatic swings in power readings than Vector 3s or Assiomas. Not sure if the P2M is any better about that.

krisJ

by krisJ

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:35 am
krisJ wrote:
Leaning abit towards

SPD-SL pedals are easier to clip into IMO. Some people will say SPD-SL pedals are a wider, more stable platform. Not a good enough reason for me to stick with them when the Assiomas and Vectors are both very good PM options. I also find my pedal PMs to be the most consistent. Spider based PMs can misread if chainring bolts aren't all properly torqued. I find the temperature compensation on my Quarq to cause more dramatic swings in power readings than Vector 3s or Assiomas. Not sure if the P2M is any better about that.
Thanks for your reply.

Leaning abit towards against the Assioma's I think.

I also like the fact that I can easily mount them on a new bike, if/when i replace my current.

pedale

by pedale

100% agree with Tobin, the only flaw I find in my assioma is a direct consequence of their weight. SPD-SL are back heavy that makes them always point to the top, assioma are more balanced and tend to spin more when missclipped.

With the advantage of being able to have a power meter when I rent my bike while traveling I went for the assioma and don't regret it

AZR3

by AZR3

I’ve had about 5 different P2M power meters over the years and they’ve all be rock solid, no drop outs, no crazy spikes, they are a solid choice. I’ve also sold all of them and use DUOs now as I like that I’m able to swap them on to any bike I want and they give a true L/R power. They’ve also been as reliable as the P2M units, it’s just easier for me to swap pedals then it is to fuss with swapping cranks....and honestly I don’t want to tempt messing with BBs and introducing a potential for creaking with frequent install/removal of cranks.

TiCass

by TiCass

Go with the P2M. It's the trouble free option.

naylor343

by naylor343

+1 for power2max. Been using them since their first models, totally bomb proof.

Have zero experience with the duos, but believe they are very good.

Removing the actual power meter from the equation, in 39years of training and racing, I have been through many sets of pedals due to crashing and bearings/spindles failing. I have never had to retire a set of cranks for any reason other than esthetics.

pedale

by pedale

You can buy all spare parts of the pedals and they are self serviceable. This point was actually the one that made me take them over the vector3

https://cycling.favero.com/shop/left-pedal-body-assioma
https://cycling.favero.com/shop/nuts-m6 ... ap-assioma
https://cycling.favero.com/shop/left-pe ... or-assioma

clasix

by clasix

I have both - duos for my road bike and PM eco for my CX bike. Both work perfectly, and I would buy the duos for the road bike and PM for the CX bike any time again if I needed too.

Stueys

by Stueys

I've had a P2M and Vector 1/2. I had Vector 3 as well but that went back for a refund after one week.

In my experience the P2M is absolutely bullet proof, whereas my Vector's have had a combination of quirks. Based on that experience I'd go P2M as it's the most consistent PM I've had. Pedals definitely have their place for a multi bike set up though.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

krisJ wrote:
If your cranks are also 8000, you could send them in to Pioneer to have a dual-sided power meter installed for about your price range.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Gonna give a vote for the P2Max

krisJ

by krisJ

Thanks for all the inputs and advice, it's very appreciated.

But after some consideration, I think im gonna go for the Assiamo Pedals. They seem solid and like a good choice for me. I Defiantly wanna try out a crank based powermeter some day, but for now I'm gonna stick to the pedals.

/Kris

by Weenie