Colnago 2019 range disappointing finish and suitable alternative recommendations please!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

derosa2000

by derosa2000

Last edited by derosa2000 on Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

Colnago hasn’t been relative since the days of steel IMO. For a carbon frame you cannot beat Time. Their in house manufactured frames are of incredible quality. Sarto also makes a stellar product.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

muti

by muti

I think both in terms of building(and usually overlooked carbon tuning with the use of vectran in the carbon weaving)and finishing,the quality of Time is second to none.Every Time frame I have inspected is impeccably finished.By the way,they will most probably return to Pro Tour next year with AG2R.Not that it matters to me,just that's the rumour.

kgt

by kgt

Yes, probably AG2R on a new Scylon.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

derosa2000 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:58 pm
Casati , Ciocc , Daccordi , Tommasini , Coppi , Formigli , etc. can compete only with paintjob to Colnago and that's all . I had last week two V2R of 2018 and 2019( old design but new '19 color tone and fork/seatpost) and there is no difference in paintjob quality , maybe it is not absolutely perfect but it is very very good , there is difference in design and how accents are applied and made . Someone likes and someone doesn't . I like previous version and I like new versin too . Sorry for my english .

The v2r frame and metallic red really doesnt go in my opinion. The 2019 Concept has the same metallic red and that works really well.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

c60rider

by c60rider

They're not really metallic though, quite a dull and matt finish up close, but it depends what you like.

sfo423

by sfo423

Slightly OT, but who is 'the' WW go-to dealer for the Basso Dianante Disc? They are terribly over-priced here in California and nobody has stock.

Must be an EU dealer that has great pricing.
c60rider wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:59 am
Yes the Basso diamante disc is one I've noticed and ticks several boxes, there's a bit of exclusivity about it, it looks really good and the finish looks impressive. I'm not keen on an integrated bar/ stem but it says that's only an option. Thanks for that :thumbup:

chunky666

by chunky666

moonoi wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:15 am
mag wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:31 am
I can confirm the art decor ones seem to be done with more care (and for example I know there were many cases of the ordinary 2019 style frames being sold with the 2018 style seatposts- e.g. non-matching fonts - that isn't the case of the art decor frames), but yes that comes at a price. So just go with art decor if you can.
Can't agree with that, after waiting almost a year for my art decor (CHDW) concept disc, the paint finish was terrible, with poor masking around the top of the headtube and seat post clamp, meaning that parts of the frame weren't even painted. Took a while to get Colnago to agree to refinish the paintwork, but has to be done locally, so after a month of riding it's stripped back down and off to the paint shop already. Love the ride of the bike, but the quality of finish is way below expectations. Definately not even close to my C60 MHCF.

Personally I found the Taiwan painted frames to be better quality than the Italian art decor ones.
Not just me then!

Mine had the laquer peel on the seat post when I removed a small bit of tape that i'd put on the check the post wasnt slipping which was replaced. Now the frame has been stripped and is back in italy as the laquer has cracked round the chainstay where it meets the top of the seat tube and Winwave have sent it back to colnago for them to have a look and fix/replace it

mag

by mag

Concept is made in Taiwan, right? Isn't it also painted there (even art decor)? C series should be painted in Italy so there could be some difference.

chunky666

by chunky666

mag wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:28 am
Concept is made in Taiwan, right? Isn't it also painted there (even art decor)? C series should be painted in Italy so there could be some difference.
I was under the impression the Decór versions were painted in italy? Mine is a Decór blue concept disc.

moonoi

by moonoi

chunky666 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:43 am
mag wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:28 am
I was under the impression the Decór versions were painted in italy? Mine is a Decór blue concept disc.
Correct, the Art Decor frames are "hand painted in italy", the frame, obviously, is still made in Taiwan

Chunky666, for my frame they said it's too expensive to ship all the way back to Italy to be refinished, and to be fair the local paint shop they used has done a far better job than the original...unfortunately for me, when the bike was being built back up, the engineer damaged the paint on the frame again, so it's back off to the paintshop again!!!

mag

by mag

Interesting, so if all Art Decor paints are done in Italy then it's probably due to various painters and their different skills. If you're unlucky you may get one done by a not very skilled person. :-(

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Not to be a dick, but you were going to buy a brand new Colnago and ride it through the winter with Crud Roadracers on it, and you are concerned about the quality of the paintwork?!?
I would say you've had a lucky escape from yourself;)