S-Works Tarmac SL 6 (DISC) OSBB Dimensions for new BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ODC

by ODC

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the dimensions of the bottom bracket from the S-works tarmac SL6 (disc).
Does some one knows what the dimensions are?

I ask this because I want to buy a new bottom bracket for my SL6 disc.
For the moment my shop has installed the adapters but every 2 weeks I need to clean them because of creaking noises.
On the website from ceramic speed I see 2 choices.
- PF30 Shimano
- BB30 Shimano.

Which one do I need?
From what I see from pictures Bora and Quick-step are using the BB30 for Shimano.
If possible I think the BB30 for Shimano from ceramic speed is the best solution there it is a threaded bottom bracket that threads into itself.

I hope someone can help me!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I have the Ceramic Speed Shimano BB30 one in my Sagan Camo Tarmac... eliminated all of the pops and creaks you are talking about...

ODC

by ODC

ParisCarbon wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:47 pm
I have the Ceramic Speed Shimano BB30 one in my Sagan Camo Tarmac... eliminated all of the pops and creaks you are talking about...
You have the normal or coated one?
Are those coated versions worth it or is it more commercial?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I used the standard one.. That extra $149 USD is about $220 Canadian + tax more!!

https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/sport/s ... mano-road/

ODC

by ODC

ParisCarbon wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:20 am
I used the standard one.. That extra $149 USD is about $220 Canadian + tax more!!

https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/sport/s ... mano-road/
Is there a reason why you have chosen for the standard one?
Searching on the internet haven't given me a real answer. The one person says buy the coated version because is last longer, the other says commercial bullshit.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

They are still ceramic bearings... It just says the races are coated for extra smoothness.. I had better stuff to spend $200 on is what it came down to... the regular bearings are not some standard "commercial" BS

AlexTas

by AlexTas

So the power cranks will fit onto bb30 for Shimano? Ive noticed the creaking and popping bottom bracket on my sl6 disc. 👎🏻

ergott

by ergott

I just ran into this because I'm working on a Crux (same BB dimensions) and a 386EVO FSA crank. It's not just BB30. The outer width of the bearings is 63.5mm, not 68mm. I had the same measurement with my Tarmac SL5. Keep that in mind when you need to add spacers to the spindle. I had to order Wheels Mfg spindle spacers in 1.0mm and 0.5mm to make up the difference.

ODC

by ODC

AlexTas wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:15 am
So the power cranks will fit onto bb30 for Shimano? Ive noticed the creaking and popping bottom bracket on my sl6 disc. 👎🏻
No, the BB30 for shimano is only for shimano cranks.
For you're problem i would take the cranks from you're frame, clean it en regrease it.

ODC

by ODC

ergott wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:58 am
I just ran into this because I'm working on a Crux (same BB dimensions) and a 386EVO FSA crank. It's not just BB30. The outer width of the bearings is 63.5mm, not 68mm. I had the same measurement with my Tarmac SL5. Keep that in mind when you need to add spacers to the spindle. I had to order Wheels Mfg spindle spacers in 1.0mm and 0.5mm to make up the difference.
Wrong the tarmac sl6 and tarmac sl6 disc are bb30. No need for spacers when you use a Shimano crankset.
Answers from ceramicspeed: Hi, apologies on the delay in response on your inquiry. The current Tarmac SL6 models are using a traditional BB30 BB shell. If you are using a Shimano crank, then the same model as the teams are using will be your best fit.
Specialized has used OSBB as their name for any over sized BB shell covering 42X62, 46X62, 42X68, and 46X68. This is why you have seen PF30 & BB30 related options for Tarmac frames. The current SL6 models use a traditional 42X68 frame.
Thanks!
~Paul

ergott

by ergott

ODC wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:04 pm
Wrong the tarmac sl6 and tarmac sl6 disc are bb30.
Did you measure this yourself? I was told my frame was BB30 too until I took the time to measure it.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Ergott... the whole “OSBB” thing is a clusterf#%¥ of nomenclature. The Crux you are working on has the “old” OSBB with the narrower BB shell (61mm I believe). I worked on one of these some time ago. I used a Praxis BB but also had to use two 3.5mm spacers on either side of the shell to essentially widen it to the standard 68mm shell. All worked out fine. The narrower BB shell was a disaster as Specialized tried to differentiate themselves from Cannondale. A narrow shell with loads grinding away on the outer edges did not play well with longevity. Anyway, they’ve moved from that but I think they still use the “OSBB” term. Currently I don’t think they have any “narrow” OSBB shells in the lineup.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabl10s

by tabl10s

ODC wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:02 pm
Hello everyone,

I have a question about the dimensions of the bottom bracket from the S-works tarmac SL6 (disc).
Does some one knows what the dimensions are?

I ask this because I want to buy a new bottom bracket for my SL6 disc.
For the moment my shop has installed the adapters but every 2 weeks I need to clean them because of creaking noises.
On the website from ceramic speed I see 2 choices.
- PF30 Shimano
- BB30 Shimano.

Which one do I need?
From what I see from pictures Bora and Quick-step are using the BB30 for Shimano.
If possible I think the BB30 for Shimano from ceramic speed is the best solution there it is a threaded bottom bracket that threads into itself.

I hope someone can help me!
Doesn't your bike with a CS BB?
Last edited by tabl10s on Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)