Giant SLR1 30mm

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

I'm buying a leftover 2017 TCR Advanced KOM and it comes with these wheels. The hub body is Shimano but I'm a campy guy. I used to mix and match shifters with cassettes years ago with mixed results.

I plan to put Record 11 speed on. Will I be able to use a Shimano cassette and will it shift ok? If not, I'm going bora ultra but they're so expensive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Should have a DT Swiss hub. Probably DT 240 https://glorycycles.com/dt-swiss-11-spe ... ehub-body/ I dont think you can use your current cassette.

silvalis

by silvalis

I don't think SLR1 had the dt swiss ratchet internals - was a regular pawl hub. SLR0 is star ratchet.
Chasse patate

ongbenghui

by ongbenghui

if it is the SLR1 that come with a TCR, I think it is a DT Swiss 370 hubs. 3 Pawls hub.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

silvalis wrote:I don't think SLR1 had the dt swiss ratchet internals - was a regular pawl hub. SLR0 is star ratchet.
This is what Giant says
Hubs - Giant SLR 1 DBL WheelSystem; Pawl driver, [F] 16h [R] 21h

And I found this from Velo:

The rims and lacing systems are the same on both SLR 0 and SLR 1 wheels, but the SLR 1 is $1,000/set cheaper ($1,300 vs. $2,300/pr.). This is accomplished by dropping the SLR 0’s DT Swiss star-ratchet freehub system and Aerolite/Aerocomp bladed spokes in favor of the SLR 1’s standard freehub pawl system and Sapim Race/Laser round, butted spokes.
Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2015/06/news/th ... oB8ag6M.99

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

vanillaflyweight

by vanillaflyweight

I have recently upgraded these wheels to Bora One 35s. The reason for that was that the SLR1 30mm has really really bad braking.

They require easily double if not more braking distance compared to the boras. However my brother owns the slr0 and says that they aren't too bad so maybe another option.

On a positive note they do roll wheel and the free hub is nice and loud (if you like that).

Billiano

by Billiano

The hub is a DtSwiss 360.So get a Campi freehub

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

vanillaflyweight wrote:I have recently upgraded these wheels to Bora One 35s. The reason for that was that the SLR1 30mm has really really bad braking.

They require easily double if not more braking distance compared to the boras. However my brother owns the slr0 and says that they aren't too bad so maybe another option.

On a positive note they do roll wheel and the free hub is nice and loud (if you like that).
Out of curiosity, have you tried Campagnolo red pads with your Giant SLR wheels before drawing a conclusion?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie