Vittoria Corsa G + Latex tubes or Schwable Pro One Tubeless tires

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

GOing to be getting a new set of Carbon clincher wheels that are Tubeless ready.
They have an internal width of 21mm.
The wheels in question are the Roval CLX 50.
I am debating running them tubeless (Schwable Pro one) or with Cosra G and Latex tubes. Both tires in 25.

in terms of importance

1.Comfort and ability to run low pressure
2. Rolling resistance
3. Puncture Protection
4. Ease of use

Based on the above, I am leaning towards the Schwable Pro One.
What would you run?

by Weenie

3Pio

by 3Pio

toronto-rider wrote:GOing to be getting a new set of Carbon clincher wheels that are Tubeless ready.
I am debating running them tubeless (Schwable Pro one) or with Cosra G and Latex tubes. Both tires in 25.

in terms of importance

2. Rolling resistance
3. Puncture Protection
4. Ease of use

What would you run?

I have ride Vittoria Corsa G+ and Latex tubes on my Shamals Ultra wheelset.

Nice ride, smooth, and i rally like Latex tubes. Only thing i dont like about Corsa G+ is weight. 260 gm per tire

About latex and Carbon Clincher, im not sure that is safe. I will never ride a Latex on Carbon Clinchers.

scottmmw

by scottmmw

I've just starting using the corsa g+ and latex tube combo on my ultimate with magic r-sys wheels. I've rode about 100 road miles and raced 30 mil S on local motor circuit and I'm not disappointed, seem to roll very nice and are comfortable at 90psi. The roads miles were done on not great road surface with various potholes etc and coped fine. The verdict is still out on latex tubes but the more miles I get before a puncture will sway me!

Marin

by Marin

I'm riding Corsa G+ with Vredestein Latex tubes on 25mm wide tubeless ready Light Bicycle carbon rims without problems. These are my everyday wheels. Excellent combo.

I run tubeless on my MTBs, but have given up for road because I don't need it. I average about 0.5 flats/year on my road bike.

ms6073

by ms6073

I have the Vittoria Corsa G+ installed with Michelin Latex tubes on a set of LBs wide 44-mm deep carbon disc tubeless ready clinchers as well and another set of Vittoria's with Vittoria latex tubes mounted on N ox Composites Falkor disc-brake only tubeless ready carbon wheels. Both work flawlessly and the only issue has been a bit of road debris causing a side-wall cut on the LB wheelset that required a bit of paper money to cover the gash so we could finish our ride. Conversely, I have experiemented with running the Vittoria's tubeless on both wheelsets, and while they sealed and held air pretty well, both wheels suffered blowoffs - second time was with bike indoors mounted on the trainer - after which I had enough of cleaning latex residue off stuff.
Last edited by ms6073 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

Marin

by Marin

I also found out the hard way that for road tubeless, you have to use true tubeless tires :)

Eventually I did, but the experience didn't convince me and I went back to inner tubes.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

ms6073 wrote:I have the Vittoria's installed with Michelin Latex tubes on a set of LBs wide 44-mm deep carbon disc tubeless ready clinchers as well and another set of Vittoria's with Vittoria latex tubes mounted on N ox Composites Falkor disc-brake only tubeless ready carbon wheels. Both work flawlessly and the only issue has been a bit of road debris causing a side-wall cut on the LB wheelset that required a bit of paper money to cover the gash so we could finish our ride. Conversely, I have experiemented with running the Vittoria's tubeless on both wheelsets, and while they sealed and held air pretty well, both wheels suffered blowoffs - second time was with bike indoors mounted on the trainer - after which I had enough of cleaning latex residue off stuff.

You should be good to go running latex tubes on your disc carbon rims. As far as I know, the latex/carbon problem potential comes from brake heat on rim braked models.

Regarding trying to setup non-tubeless tires in a tubeless configuration (which works fine on most MTBs), Lennard Zinn has written some good stuff about his experiments, which ended with catastrophic blowouts due to the stretch in a kevlar bead of the tire (true road tubeless generally has a carbon bead). Most recently, he tried a cyclocross clincher at 30psi, and even at that low pressure it blew out, although I suspect that part of the issue was that it was a Vittoria open tubular and the bead shape on those is such that it gets less purchase on the rim than most vulcanized models. If a non tubeless MTB tire can be run tubeless at 35psi, I would imagine that a 35-40mm vulcanized cross model with a substantial bead profile could be made to do the same.

Here is his article, in case you want more detail: http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/bikes-a ... ent_431044

CamW

by CamW

Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR setup tubeless maybe? Measured by one source as the lowest rolling resistance tyre set up possible.

tilf

by tilf

Tubeless loses a lot less air in 24 hours than my latex tubed vittorias did. The Pro Ones are on par with the gliding feeling the Open Corsas I rode.

Speed TLRs are worth looking at if 23mm isn't too small for you. I have a set mounted that I haven't ridden yet but they seem very supple. Not the same as my 28mm Pro Ones, but the Speed TLRs should be a little faster.

ms6073

by ms6073

TheKaiser wrote:
ms6073 wrote:Regarding trying to setup non-tubeless tires in a tubeless configuration

I updated my post. I am riding the new Vittoria Corsa G+ which are supposed to be tubeless ready tires, yet I had blow-offs with two different tires (both skinwall and grey sidewall) on two differrent wheelsets!
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

thp

by thp

Tried the G+ w/latex in 25mm, the Pro One in 25mm, and the IRC Lite in 26mm. Luckily no punctures on any of them so can't give feedback there, I choose the cleaner paths. But in terms of feel and comfort, personal opinion is G+/Later, IRC, Pro One. Just didn't like the Pro One much, IRC felt nicer tubeless at the same pressures. And G+ w/latex just has a way with making roads feel nice.

Marin

by Marin

ms6073 wrote:Vittoria Corsa G+ which are supposed to be tubeless ready tires

No!

Only the Corsa Speed is tubeless, the normal G+ aren't and will thus blow off.

Henryexige

by Henryexige

toronto-rider wrote:GOing to be getting a new set of Carbon clincher wheels that are Tubeless ready.

in terms of importance

2. Rolling resistance
3. Puncture Protection
4. Ease of use

What would you run?

I've just put on the Schwalbe pro one 25mm on a CLX64 converted to tubeless. Absolutely a wonder to roll on and I've used Schwalbe pro one on Easton EC90 SL tubeless since last year on without any issues ever since. It is slightly faster than S-works turbo clincher for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

Henryexige wrote:

in terms of importance

2. Rolling resistance
3. Puncture Protection
4. Ease of use

What would you run?

I've just put on the Schwalbe pro one 25mm on a CLX64 converted to tubeless. Absolutely a wonder to roll on and I've used Schwalbe pro one on Easton EC90 SL tubeless since last year on without any issues ever since. It is slightly faster than S-works turbo clincher for sure.

What pressure are you running on the CLX and what weight are you?
Thanks

Henryexige

by Henryexige

toronto-rider wrote:
Henryexige wrote:

in terms of importance

2. Rolling resistance
3. Puncture Protection
4. Ease of use

What would you run?

What pressure are you running on the CLX and what weight are you?
Thanks

95 psi 81kg. Maybe will try lower to see if it is better. My Easton with 19mm internal width I m running 100 psi.

by Weenie