201X Allez Sprint

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
07stuntin6r
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 am

by 07stuntin6r

quadlt250 wrote:here's a quick link to check for top cap adjustment. You want just enough to preload the bearings and eliminate play, then make sure the stem is straight and tighten the stem clamp bolts (these will have a torque setting, usually 5-6N.m)

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... et-service
Right and I’ve never even went over 5nm



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quadlt250
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:25 pm

by quadlt250

The torque spec is for the stem bolts, not the top cap bolt. You’re supposed to tighten the top cap bolt FIRST (by hand, only until there is no more play in the headset bearings) THEN you tighten the stem clamp bolts to 5 or 6 N.m with a torque wrench.

by Weenie


Sock3t
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:20 am

by Sock3t

07stuntin6r wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:22 pm
Sock3t wrote:
Helmetbox wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:41 am
07stuntin6r wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:36 pm
I replaced my stem and just noticed that when I rotate my handlebars it is not as smooth as it was before. I believe it is the headset and I tq's the expander to spec and only did the top cap to 4-5nm. There is no play in between the frame, step or fork so I know it isn't loose. ideas?
Did you over tighten your stem cap screw?
I think he did. If he's only put 1000 miles on it in a couple years, then I'd hedge to say he's not too experienced. Especially if he's torquing the headset bolt - I've always done it by feel.
Really....I Tq everything on my bike to what it’s suppose to be at.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read the install guide above. Notice how none of it mentions torquing this bolt?

Exactly.

User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

If you haven’t already, I’d say just pull out the fork, check the bearings by hand. If they feel like they’re sticking or grinding, somethings wrong. May need replacement.

If not, something wasn’t right when you put it back together.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

07stuntin6r
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 am

by 07stuntin6r

IrrelevantD wrote:If you haven’t already, I’d say just pull out the fork, check the bearings by hand. If they feel like they’re sticking or grinding, somethings wrong. May need replacement.

If not, something wasn’t right when you put it back together.
I rechecked everything and it’s fine now. On the other hand....what y’all think about the USA cycling rider using an Allez Sprint in the Tour of California?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

07stuntin6r wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:36 pm
I rechecked everything and it’s fine now. On the other hand....what y’all think about the USA cycling rider using an Allez Sprint in the Tour of California?!
I didn't notice it this year, but last year Axeon was running Tarmacs and Sprints. They had someone podium on a Sprint into Laguna Seca (I think he finished 2nd).
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

CrankAddictsRich
Posts: 1745
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:39 pm
Contact:

by CrankAddictsRich

IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:44 pm
I didn't notice it this year, but last year Axeon was running Tarmacs and Sprints. They had someone podium on a Sprint into Laguna Seca (I think he finished 2nd).
I actually don't think the they used Tarmacs at all last year... Al of the pics I can find, show Axeon riders on the Yellow/Orange Allez Sprint... Jonny Brown, an Axeon rider won the US National Championships on one last year. The Sprint is a kick ass bike with huge bang for your buck.

User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:40 am
I actually don't think the they used Tarmacs at all last year... Al of the pics I can find, show Axeon riders on the Yellow/Orange Allez Sprint... Jonny Brown, an Axeon rider won the US National Championships on one last year. The Sprint is a kick ass bike with huge bang for your buck.
They had a couple of black bikes with disc brakes at ToC last year prior to the Sprint Disc announcemnt. Non-aero seat tubes, so they weren't pre-production Sprints. I thought they were exclusively on the Sprint at the time, so it stuck out to me.

Went digging... Found this from SRAM's site. Bottom pic has a quartet of disc Tarmacs on top of the Axeon car.

https://www.sram.com/stories/disc-difference
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

CrankAddictsRich
Posts: 1745
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:39 pm
Contact:

by CrankAddictsRich

IrrelevantD wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:01 am
They had a couple of black bikes with disc brakes at ToC last year prior to the Sprint Disc announcemnt. Non-aero seat tubes, so they weren't pre-production Sprints. I thought they were exclusively on the Sprint at the time, so it stuck out to me.

Went digging... Found this from SRAM's site. Bottom pic has a quartet of disc Tarmacs on top of the Axeon car.

https://www.sram.com/stories/disc-difference
Fair enough... those are definitely Tarmac Disc bikes on the roof. I don't remember ever seeing them ride them, but obviously, they defintiely had them.

raggi
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 pm

by raggi

Anyone know someplace that sells decals for the Allez Sprint?

ancker
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:29 pm

by ancker

IrrelevantD wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:15 pm

How long have you had the frame? I've developed some minor griding in my bottom headset bearing. So far I've been able to pull the fork, remove the dust seal, clean it out really good and re-pack some grease in there to get it to smooth out a bit for a few months. I've done that probably 3-4 times now. My personal thoughts are that the bottom bearing is a a bit susceptable to water ingress. As for your top cap torque, that's about what I torque my to as well. I ocasionally get a little play, or a *thunk* under heavy breaking, so I usuallay go to about 5nm and then give it an extra 1/8th turn before I tighten down my stem.
I'm fighting with this right now. I've tried adding a little extra oomph to the top cap to ensure there's no play, but after I tighten down my stem and ride up and down the block it's back. It's not a ton of play, but if I clamp down the front brake and push the frame forward, I can hear/feel a tiny bit of play in the headset.

Frame is two months old, less than 500 miles as I pretty much only ride it on our fastest group ride. So likely nothing worn. It wasn't like this for the first several rides.

User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

ancker wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:50 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:15 pm

How long have you had the frame? I've developed some minor griding in my bottom headset bearing. So far I've been able to pull the fork, remove the dust seal, clean it out really good and re-pack some grease in there to get it to smooth out a bit for a few months. I've done that probably 3-4 times now. My personal thoughts are that the bottom bearing is a a bit susceptable to water ingress. As for your top cap torque, that's about what I torque my to as well. I ocasionally get a little play, or a *thunk* under heavy breaking, so I usuallay go to about 5nm and then give it an extra 1/8th turn before I tighten down my stem.
I'm fighting with this right now. I've tried adding a little extra oomph to the top cap to ensure there's no play, but after I tighten down my stem and ride up and down the block it's back. It's not a ton of play, but if I clamp down the front brake and push the frame forward, I can hear/feel a tiny bit of play in the headset.

Frame is two months old, less than 500 miles as I pretty much only ride it on our fastest group ride. So likely nothing worn. It wasn't like this for the first several rides.
I added a bit of carbon assembly paste to the steerer tube and stem clamp, which with the extra little bit of torque has helped, but still get it a little on really cold days.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

pjaren
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:26 pm

by pjaren

I'm just here to say that I get the headset "thunk" too! I initially thought it was a disc-version thing related to braking power and potential fork flex, but a teammate with the rim-brake version gets it too. He says his mechanic identified it as related to the stock headset cover -- plausible, since I've tightened all discernable play out of the headset like you fine folks, though I'm not fully convinced there's not a headtube tolerance issue. I guess we'll see if the headset is roached in a few months, huh.

That was in fact an Allez Sprint in the Tour of California 2019. The rider is originally from my region and now is on a UCI Continental team called Wildlife Generation, which has been riding those bikes this year. Stoked to see him on the TV -- and finishing a WorldTour stage race.

User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

pjaren wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:01 pm
He says his mechanic identified it as related to the stock headset cover
Never thought of that, but given that it seems like relatively cheap plastic, id consider it plausible as well. Be curious to replace it with an alloy or carbon one and see if it’s still an issue.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie


07stuntin6r
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 am

by 07stuntin6r

pjaren wrote:I'm just here to say that I get the headset "thunk" too! I initially thought it was a disc-version thing related to braking power and potential fork flex, but a teammate with the rim-brake version gets it too. He says his mechanic identified it as related to the stock headset cover -- plausible, since I've tightened all discernable play out of the headset like you fine folks, though I'm not fully convinced there's not a headtube tolerance issue. I guess we'll see if the headset is roached in a few months, huh.

That was in fact an Allez Sprint in the Tour of California 2019. The rider is originally from my region and now is on a UCI Continental team called Wildlife Generation, which has been riding those bikes this year. Stoked to see him on the TV -- and finishing a WorldTour stage race.
Makes me enjoy my bike even more haha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post