All carbon saddle with no pad/cover--anybody ride these?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dammit

by Dammit

I've got a K:1, simply don't think about it for rides up to 60 miles, after that point you sometimes notice it is not as padded as other saddles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Burgunder

by Burgunder

artray wrote:I ride a pro edge carbon saddle. There is not much to it. It weighs under 100grms and very comfy .

I tried to search for this saddle but I was not able to find it, have you got a link?

cerro

by cerro

Got some cover nowadays riding Tune Komm-Vor+ and Komm-Vor depending on bike (1 with Komm-Vor+ and two bikes with Komm-Vor). Before I rode with Selle SMP Full Carbon and a Smud. Tried AX-Lightness Sprint a little too

Everything is about shape, I can't ride with a SLR or Arione no matter if I have padding or not, but a Tune Komm-Vor+ I don't have any problems riding all day :)

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Same here, can't ride the Arione. but I realy like my AX Endurance.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

sungod

by sungod

Frankie - B wrote:Same here, can't ride the Arione. but I realy like my AX Endurance.

does the endurance have a bit of 'spring' like the phoenix? i couldn't tell from the ax website

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Bottom line: saddle preference is a very personal thing.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Nah,
I think the bottom line is that all carbon saddles DO exist and they ARE rideable by at least somebody. Nobody's mentioned carbon fiber splinters up the ass yet, so that's positive as well. But yeah, that doesn't mean it will work for YOU.

pritchet74

by pritchet74

Been on a Tune KommVor for about 18 months now and loving it. I have to use the high end Castelli bibs to get proper padding though. I just choose to pad the bibs and not the saddle. The KV saddle shape is just perfect for me.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

JKolmo

by JKolmo

I have no issues riding my SLR C64 even for long rides. Only problem though, it chews up my BIBs. Bummer...

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

JKolmo, try using electrical tape to cover the sharp edges which are chewing up your bib, presuming that the problem is the sharp edge along the side of the saddle.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

sandico wrote:I currently ride a Selle Italia SLR which has ALMOST no padding. But came across this which truly has no padding. Anyone out there ride this type of thing--or tried it and hated it?

It would shave 40 gms if it weighs as claimed--97gms. My SLR weighs in at 139/140--a tad over the 135gms printed on the seat cover! But still crazy light. Its reasonably comfortable to me but it may be due to the 40 gms of leather on it!

If you like the shape of the SLR then these are for you. Not too extravagantly priced, very comfortable and well finished from what I've been told: (not to mention quite a bit lighter too)

http://www.saevid.com/category.php?id_category=14

BTW, I'm on this one (80g) and have no trouble riding it for over 200km. 8)

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

v70cat

by v70cat

At 115 grams the SLR TEKNO FLOW seems like a great way to go.

http://www.selleitalia.com/se_it3/prodo ... agina_slr/

JKolmo

by JKolmo

@ HammerTime2: Electrical tape doesn't sound like a very sustainable workaround? It seems that the inner edges are the worst culprits so I've tried to sand them down a tad, unfortunately without any luck.

@ fdegrove: Hmmm, I've been contemplating the CX Zero as a replacement for my bib-chewing C64. You don't find it too stiff? I'm at 63 kgs so I can't have a very stiff saddle, the C64 is actually very nice in this department. Also, I can imagine that the inmould railing isn't compatible with too many seat posts.

@V70cat: That SLR Tekno Flow appears to have the same design flaw as the C64; it will eat your bibs for breakfast...

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

@ fdegrove: Hmmm, I've been contemplating the CX Zero as a replacement for my bib-chewing C64. You don't find it too stiff? I'm at 63 kgs so I can't have a very stiff saddle, the C64 is actually very nice in this department. Also, I can imagine that the inmould railing isn't compatible with too many seat posts.

It is not stiff at all yet it is surprisingly strong.
The conctruction is entirely different from the C64 even though the shape of the top is the same (SLR).
The saddle is composed of a mixture of carbon fibre and kevlar (aramid) rowings giving it some nice flex in the rear. It absorbs small shocks much better than my previous saddle, a SMM Aspide Composite (Ti rails).
The rails are compatible with all seatposts that clamp the rails between a cradle and a yoke.
SI stopped manufacturing it recently. There are still shops carrying it however but it ain't exactly cheap. Still I like it quite a lot, it makes me forget I am actually on a bike saddle which can't be a bad sign.... :lol:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

JKolmo wrote:@ HammerTime2: Electrical tape doesn't sound like a very sustainable workaround? It seems that the inner edges are the worst culprits so I've tried to sand them down a tad, unfortunately without any luck.
If you apply electrical tape well, you may be surprised how well it works and how long it lasts, although I am not familiar in detail with your saddle. Can you apply it directly on bare carbon? That's what you want to do. Perhaps you will have to replace the tape every x km, where hopefully x is several thousand km.