Fondriest X-Status copper plating project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Ever since I first came across the La Suprema copper plated bike I knew I had to do a copper plating project one day. It took a little longer than I had hoped though.

Since copper plating isn't exactly cheap, I only wanted to do it on a high end frame. At the same time I only wanted the do it on a frame with bad paint, without rust (I hate people that ruin nice vintage frames). Finally add to that the right size and you are up for a long wait.

At long last I managed to find the right frame yesterday: a Fondriest X-Status. The frame came with the original fork and stem. The frame is made up of Dedacciai Optimal (18mcdv6 H.T.) and features nicely oversized steel tubing, with S-bend seat stays out back. The fork is also Dedacciai Optimal and features the same S-bend. The stem is a 3TTT steel stem. Right now the frameset is at the company that is going to do the copper plating. As soon I have an update I will let you guys know.

You can find more pics here

By the way, the frame weighed in at 1660g, so pretty light. The fork and stem weighed in at a more conventional 664g and 336g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tigoose

by tigoose

Good find. Hope the copper plate doesn't let it down.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Hoping the same thing! But we will know soon enough.

gravity

by gravity

Please update this thread as you progress with the build. Will be following.

jesherwood

by jesherwood

I'm new to WW, but have the same frame and have to say that THIS is a beautiful find (matching stem and fork!!!). I searched for a chrome fork for my X-status as previous owner had replaced it with an Easton CF fork but none to be found... If anyone sees another chrome Fondriest fork, I'd be deeply grateful.

Any update on the copper plating?
More weight than weenie.

DRAGON60

by DRAGON60

Let us know the cost of the plating please----just curious

As a long time motorcyclist----this bike has always appealed to me

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/pictures/j ... dQ6Dp1rbb0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so a copper-plated bicycle is an outstanding idea-----before and after frame weight will be interesting too.

Judging by your beautiful wood bike----you really like the unusual and I applaud you for it :beerchug:

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Currently still waiting for the frame to come back from the plater. It was by far the cheapest option, but apparently also the slowest. The English Cycles frame is the result I am hoping for.

Concerning the fork, I was really happy to be able to get a hold of a fork. I actually got it really cheap together with a second X-Status frame that had a seatpost stuck in the seat tube. By now I also managed to get that seatpost out, so now I have two X-Status frames :).

jesherwood

by jesherwood

SWijland wrote:Currently still waiting for the frame to come back from the plater. It was by far the cheapest option, but apparently also the slowest. The English Cycles frame is the result I am hoping for.

Concerning the fork, I was really happy to be able to get a hold of a fork. I actually got it really cheap together with a second X-Status frame that had a seatpost stuck in the seat tube. By now I also managed to get that seatpost out, so now I have two X-Status frames :).

I'm assuming they are an easier find on that side of the pond - either that or you're one lucky guy.

Can't wait to see the plating.
More weight than weenie.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

How did you remove the chrome plating prior to copper plating?

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

The plater also restores chromed car parts, so removing old chrome is pretty much standard operating procedure.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Didn't fancy trying to find a Wilier Gioiello Ramato?

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I did get the idea from the Wilier, but it is actually chromed and then painted in a candy color. Copper plating just seemed a lot cooler ;).

Geoff

by Geoff

There was a Pinarello copper-plated frameset back 'in the day' that I remember well. It was really cool. Good luck!

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com