new ZIP 404 question

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
USPS
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 am

by USPS

Hey guys,

I just got a new set of zip 404 clinchers today.

When I freehand spin the rear wheel it makes clicking noises -but every few revelations or so, it makes higher pitched clicking noises. Is this normal?

Thanks.

User avatar
mvacolnago
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:29 am

by mvacolnago

it is most likely your valve stem rattling, take a piece of electrical tape about 2 inches long and pull it directly over the valve stem piercing the tape in the center, then pull the tape to the rim and smooth it down.

USPS
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 am

by USPS

it happens without tires even mounted. Its a section of one revolution. as if there is higher gearing or something?

USPS
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 am

by USPS

Also the wheel seems to be out of true. I put it on the bike, cranked the peddle by hand, and the wheel wobbles side to side. I thought maybe I mounted the tire on badly. So I took the tire off and tried it again - the wheel still wobbles.
Keep in mind this is new out of the box. Is there anything I could be doing wrong?

User avatar
mr_tim
Posts: 902
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 8:47 pm
Location: durp durp durp

by mr_tim

post a link to a video & post whatever is happening when the wheel spins on youtube... otherwise this is just random shots in the dark.

cheers.

USPS
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 am

by USPS

mr_tim wrote:post a link to a video & post whatever is happening when the wheel spins on youtube... otherwise this is just random shots in the dark.

cheers.


I was wrong about the side to side - but the wheel does jar the bike up and down pretty hard. But this might be normal? Anyway, I will post a video.

USPS
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 am

by USPS

One last question:

I took my Shimano Dura Ace CS-7800 cassette off my old wheel and put it on the Zipp. It had a silver spacer in the back between the hub and the cassette. I did not put this spacer on the zipp wheel because the zipp wheel came with a spacer. Did I set it up correctly or should I put that silver spacer on with the rest of the stuff?

sungod
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:37 pm
Location: it's raining, it must be uk

by sungod

generic answer...

for a shimano 11-speed compatible hub, the wheel will be supplied with a spacer, 1.85mm i think, to allow use with 8/9/10-speed cassettes

except for tiagra, a shimano 10-speed cassette is narrower than a 9-speed cassette and is supplied with a 1mm spacer
a sram 10-speed cassette, or a tiagra 10-speed, are the same width as a 9-speed cassette and need no 1mm spacer

afaik if you've got an 11-speed hub, and a 7800 cassette, you'd use both the 1.85mm spacer and the 1mm spacer

USPS
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 am

by USPS

sungod wrote:generic answer...

for a shimano 11-speed compatible hub, the wheel will be supplied with a spacer, 1.85mm i think, to allow use with 8/9/10-speed cassettes

except for tiagra, a shimano 10-speed cassette is narrower than a 9-speed cassette and is supplied with a 1mm spacer
a sram 10-speed cassette, or a tiagra 10-speed, are the same width as a 9-speed cassette and need no 1mm spacer

afaik if you've got an 11-speed hub, and a 7800 cassette, you'd use both the 1.85mm spacer and the 1mm spacer



Thanks for that! It makes sense because I took it out for a 20 mile ride today and the gearing was completely messed up.

The thing I don't understand is when I put both - the ZIPP supplied spacer and the smaller (washer like) spacer that was already on it, the last cog (smallest gear) sticks off the hub rail about 1/4th. Without the smaller (washer like) spacer that was already on the cassette, the last cog fits perfectly.

User avatar
SalsaLover
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:21 pm
Location: Zürich, Switzerland

by SalsaLover

USPS wrote:
mr_tim wrote:post a link to a video & post whatever is happening when the wheel spins on youtube... otherwise this is just random shots in the dark.

cheers.


I was wrong about the side to side - but the wheel does jar the bike up and down pretty hard. But this might be normal? Anyway, I will post a video.


It's the weight of the valve + extender unbalancing the wheel,

Miche sells some wheel balancers but I guess you can do it yourself with some stickers ?
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

1415chris
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Surrey UK

by 1415chris

USPS wrote:When I freehand spin the rear wheel it makes clicking noises -but every few revelations or so

If they are new out of box, the hub needs more than few revolutions to start "clicking" properly. It is due to the new grease in the ratchet mechanism.

thisisatest
Shop Owner
Posts: 1980
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:02 am
Location: NoVA/DC

by thisisatest

The last cog should protrude past the freehub. Otherwise, the lockring would not be able to exert a compressive force.
If your rear sheep's left endcap is black (as opposed to red), and you're not a junior with junior gearing (which I doubt you are), you absolutely use both spacers.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

goodboyr
Posts: 1390
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 pm
Location: Canada

by goodboyr

"Rear sheep"? Lol!

USPS
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 am

by USPS

thisisatest wrote:The last cog should protrude past the freehub. Otherwise, the lockring would not be able to exert a compressive force.
If your rear sheep's left endcap is black (as opposed to red), and you're not a junior with junior gearing (which I doubt you are), you absolutely use both spacers.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta


I have no clue what your talking about. the only red thing is the hub. and I'm not a junior. Soooo... i must need it. Anyhow, I put both spacers on and took it out in the driveway - seems to shift good now (it shifts hard sometimes - probably needs adjusting and a new chain but it stays in gear without trying to jump out or make any sound).

Can't wait to take it out tomorrow to give it a go.



(funny how such a small spacer can make such a big difference).
Last edited by USPS on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

USPS
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 am

by USPS

1415chris wrote:
USPS wrote:When I freehand spin the rear wheel it makes clicking noises -but every few revelations or so

If they are new out of box, the hub needs more than few revolutions to start "clicking" properly. It is due to the new grease in the ratchet mechanism.



Thanks! I can't hear it anymore. So you were right!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post