FarSports 38mm Carbon Clincher Review Thread, The

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

deermatt

by deermatt

Where did you order them from? On their site, I only saw the 20.5 width in 38 deep.

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

addictR1 wrote:looks sooo sexy. are these the new aero version or the V version?

I believe they're in between U and V shape. It's not the new open mold design (from what I recall), but its wider track is supposed to feel more at home with a 23mm tire. It's still too cold to ride, but I'll post a report as soon as I get out there.

deermatt wrote:Where did you order them from? On their site, I only saw the 20.5 width in 38 deep.

PM Kyle here for more info. Their website is down now but it's in the cyclecross section.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

steve, how's the ride and the overall review?

SteveFromNY

by SteveFromNY

^ it's like night and day compared to my 1700 gram carbon clinchers before. the brake track & swissstop yellows stop on a dime and I'm able to go down hills faster and more confidently. I've only got about 200 miles so far, but i love them.

addictR1

by addictR1

woohoo... OMG... my 38mm has arrived. but still stuck in office and can't wait to go home to get it up and running with Pro4 service road.

was it a pain in the butt to install the red veloplugs?

Irish

by Irish

I have mine since the 21st and have to say no problems, 1290gms(inc red veloplugs). I'm big so expected these to be noodles, but so far they are proving to be great value, I'm on the hugh size for racing and have used them training on our potholed roads with no issues, I'll be racing on them tomorrow and will give them a proper trashing ;)

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

addictR1 wrote:woohoo... OMG... my 38mm has arrived. but still stuck in office and can't wait to go home to get it up and running with Pro4 service road.

was it a pain in the butt to install the red veloplugs?

It was a pain to install the veloplugs and the Pro 4's!!

addictR1

by addictR1

@btompkins0112: yup.. i found that out the hard way. took me so damn long to install that. but now it's done.. i've been loving it ever since! :) just hope i don't ever get a flat (knock on wood), otherwise it'll be a biatch to change that on the side of the road.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Mine are somewhere between here and there... my red velo plugs arrived today, at least a tease for the new wheelset when they arrive. AddictR1 how long did yours take to ship? I am not complaining, since I just received pictures and a note from Kyle.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

addictR1

by addictR1

Oreoboreo, it took me about 2.5wks to get it.

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

addictR1 wrote:@btompkins0112: yup.. i found that out the hard way. took me so damn long to install that. but now it's done.. i've been loving it ever since! :) just hope i don't ever get a flat (knock on wood), otherwise it'll be a biatch to change that on the side of the road.

Once the beads stretch it isn't that bad. I have had to fix flats on my Pro3's a couple of times and one Pedro's lever will work with no issues. A little tighter than most of my wheels, but really not that bad, and that is with Velox. With a thin strip it shouldn't be bad at all.

addictR1

by addictR1

@xjbaylor: i've been riding mine daily and with the pro4... i love love love it.....

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

From another thread, the Xiamen Far Sport Experiences thread, there was a discussion of what the brake track looks like after so many miles. I'm going to contribute to that thread shortly, but in the meantime, here's a photo of the front rim's brake track after approx 9300 miles (miles were calculated since last Sept, but adding in today's ride it might as well be 9353).

As you can tell the brake track is, eventually, wearing in. That said, I haven't noticed any decrease in braking performance nor have I lost any confidence in the quality of these wheels. I continue to descend at the same rate and I can still make emergency brake efforts with confidence. Despite the mileage, the hubs are running exceptionally smooth with never a problem to speak of. The wheels have never gone out of true despite horrible road conditions at times, they're as stiff as they were when they came out of the box.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

optV

by optV

Perhaps someone can help me out with this: I've been trying to order the new aero 38mm wide (25mm) aero road clincher wheelset (the ones featured on the graphic on this page: http://farsports.cn/product/pcat_list.php). I sent an email to both kyle and the farsports info email and finally got a response after a few days from Lucy. She said "For our New 38mm clincher areo shape, our rim's size is 633*38*20.5mm" What am I missing? I thought that there was a non-V shaped aero 25mm wide wheelset. Can someone point me in the right direction please.

EDIT:

After I sent her the link she replied acknowledging the 25mm existence and saying that it is the newest wheelset. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

There is also a new 23mm wide "high temp resin" clincher rim available at the same weight as the previous lightweight versions. At least as claimed in the latest 2013 new items "catalog" that Farsports emailed me the other day...
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com