quill stem and handlebars for classic 1996 steel bianchi

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

dvincere

by dvincere

I have a 1996 Bianchi Campy 8 speed lugged steel CX bike. The handlebars on it are too wide and the stem is too long. It currently has a black ITM 130 mm stem and stupidly wide bars. I need to dial it back to about 90 cm stem (depends on the curve of the new bars though) and 42 cm wide bars.
I need to replace them with something reasonably priced and will look the part. Finally, if they could be of a respectable weight for what I need, that would be great too.
My knowledge on the older stuff is weak.

An old guy I worked with suggested Nitto. What does everyone here suggest for companies / models? Buy new stuff or are there good old stock I can find on ebay or elsewhere?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

budgetweenie

by budgetweenie

One must remember that by '96 most steel (and all Alu) Bianchis were TIG welded. I like the nice chrome plated Bianchi branded ITM steel stem. Profile also made a nice light TIGed steel quill stem (a bit flexy it was, but as light as some ahead stems, @200g).

Either ITM or Profile of that era also produced a nice light road bar.

Either one should look good and be durable. If it was me, Japanese made frame would get the Profile bar/stem, Italian, the ITM combo. I've owned both. (actually still have them all but neither are in use), sorry, they're 110mm...

jooo

by jooo

Planet-X had(has?) a bunch of NOS stems. Maybe see if they have anything that suits?

dvincere

by dvincere

Thanks for the tips.

And this may be a stupid question but what is a NOS stem?

jooo

by jooo

New Old Stock

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Try and get a ITM Eclipse stem, these look great on 'modern' vintage bikes IMHO. Looks even better with a matching black ITM handlebar. 3TTT did a similar model for PRO called the chrome. They sold their own model under the name Pinocchio.

Good luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker