keep the zero gravity og-07 , or planet x cnc brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

deermatt

by deermatt

Hi, I recently got a pair of zero g og-07 ti brakes, and I havent used them yet. I hear mixed reviews, most of the bad reviews seem to be people not setting them up properly ..

I wanted to see if there was anyone who has used both, and which you'd pick. I understand EE and THM brakes are better, but I cannot afford 5-600 dollar brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I have used both and can tell you that I would take the Planet X brakes over the ZGs any day. They are much easier to setup, the PX brakes give you greater adjustability. They also seem to perform better, both superior power and modulation. Minor weight penalty for the PXs, but this is made up for by the cost and easy of use in my book.

TimmS

by TimmS

Zero Gravity, just because they are the original ww brake and not some cheap rip off...in my opinion

djconnel

by djconnel

I squeeze the lever on my 0Gs and my bike gets slower. I squeeze harder and I stop. Works fine for me. Only small issue is if they get off-center I need a cone wrench or similar to adjust them. But this has only been an issue once on a serious ride (Climb to Kaiser a few years ago). Fortunately the next rest stop had one. Alternate is to adjust the wheel position. Also the quick release range is tight so with 25 mm tires on 19 mm rims I need to loosen the barrel as well as undo the quick release to get the wheel on and off. With 25 mm tires on 23 mm rims it's better.

The limiting factor on braking isn't the brake, it's more typically traction, so you don't want the most powerful brakes possible. For me at 125 lb these brakes are as powerful as Dura-Ace for a relatively heavy rider. If you're 210 lb then I'd try something else.

kode54

by kode54

once set-up...they work flawlessly. the biggest issue i've had with them is making sure the housings are at the correct length. other than that, they stop well and are trouble free.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

rockdude

by rockdude

Save your money, take your time. Drink less beer and coffee and put the saved money in a fund for some EE brakes you will not regrets it.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

bigskyTi
in the industry

by bigskyTi

rockdude wrote:Save your money, take your time. Drink less beer and coffee and put the saved money in a fund for some EE brakes you will not regrets it.

There is a fundamental flaw with your advice :beerchug:

Imaking20

by Imaking20

^what he said.

totoboa

by totoboa

rockdude wrote:Save your money, take your time. Drink less beer and coffee and put the saved money in a fund for some EE brakes you will not regrets it.

You just took the weight out of WW, and left only the "...." :beerchug:

rockdude

by rockdude

totoboa wrote:

You just took the weight out of WW, and left only the "...." :beerchug:

Now come on guys, we are cyclist. We thrive on pain, sacrifice and delay of self gratification.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Sure dude, you're a rock. Some of these other guys aren't.

deermatt

by deermatt

I wont be buying EE brakes unless someone wants to donate them to me. They cost as much as my wheelset ! but more power to the ones that can have that bling.

eric

by eric

Being able to afford stuff like EE brakes is one of the few good things about getting old.

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

I have given my $0.02 about this before. Zero Gravity brakes lack stopping power, have poor modulation and come off centre.

I wish they didn't. I have the Ciamillo and they are the most expensive brakes I have ever bought. Others may be able to put up with this, but I can't. I am a 165 lb rider so on the heavier side. That said, I am not 200+. Anyways, I am replacing mine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Just a heads up:

Planet X brakes are cheaper on the UK website. Furthermore, their after sales support is better than the USA one.

I recently had lost the spring holder on mine. I've emailed P-USA and no response. P-UK responded within 24 hours.