Cycle Insurance in Australia/New Zealand

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Hey guys,

Who knows of an insurance company in Australia that will cover me for medical insurance whilst racing?

At the moment Bike NZ is trying to charge me for $1600NZD for six months of cover, and that doesn't even include my bike.

Looking around for some alternatives if anyone knows of any in Australia or New Zealand that'd be awesome.

Cheers,

Dalai

by Dalai

Not sure about NZ, but if you are racing road or track the Cycling Australia licence has insurance included...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DartanianX

by DartanianX

I'm awaiting reply from Cycling Australia but as I'm a license holder with Bike NZ I'm not sure weather or not I can apply for insurance through Cycling Australia, nor hold a license in two federations at once.

Dalai

by Dalai

So you don't have automatic insurance cover with Bike NZ?

Agreed - doubt you can have dual memberships.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

I do whilst in New Zealand, but if I want to participate in races, as I will be, in Australia I need an international license that Bike NZ will only issue if you have the appropriate level of insurance cover.

doomith

by doomith

Velosure ?

Lukee

by Lukee

its no better for aussies going OS to race.

http://www.cycling.org.au/default.asp?P ... 0013/43895

Dalai

by Dalai

So true Lukee! Thought it would be good one OS holiday to throw in a race or two whilst overseas, till I saw the costs!

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Holy crap that is insanely expensive!!! And to think I grudge British Cycling's $150 a year...

Lukee

by Lukee

we pay ~$300 per year for a racing license/insurance coverage in Australia, it's only if you want to competitively race OS (with proper injury insurance) that you need to pay that...

If you check any and all PDS documents for travel insurance offered in AUS racing is excluded.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

It is one of the reasons my friend never made it to the US for the CX World Champs - expensive overseas racing insurance from BikeNZ