Moderator: Moderator Team
Now the fun part, I'm a clydes checking in at 205 race weight and 215-220 off season (i like to eat... so what) and love to really get after it sometimes... I yearned for something stiffer, lighter and more aggressive... Which lead me to my hunt for a weight weenie project on a budget... Budget: $1,200 US. Remember, this is a WW on a budget, key word BUDGET, meaning yes, I could have saved MORE weight with other components but I had a goal to stay within my maximum. So, yes, it can be lighter but at what cost? I also opted for a little but of style in my choices as well.
I landed an incredible deal on a frame and fork, Focus Izalco Pro, and this began my journey on the obsessive world of saving the ever so dreaded gram. I began my hunting on Craigslist, eBay and various forums, both stateside and abroad with the goal of sourcing as many new parts and pieces as possible but at the best possible price. Where it made sense, I purchased used parts from local club riders, of which I knew and had knowledge of the care they took in their equipment.
I'm working on my completed build list with claimed weight and actual weights as read on my digital scale. Also included are costs down to the penny (minus items that were already purchased and being re-used). This will be uploaded in a few days as I finalize the last few parts to come in...
Here's a taste at what I have going:
- 2011 Focus Izalco Pro with 3T Funda fork - size XXL (60cm)
- Easton EC90 46mm handlebar
- Easton EC90 110mm stem
- FSA SLK 350mm seatpost (still hunting for EC90 350mm 27.2 setback)
- SRAM Force Shifters (2010)
- SRAM Force WiFli rear derailleur (2012)
- SRAM Force braze on front derailleur (2012)
- SRAM Force brake set (2012)
- SRAM Force 175mm 53/39 BB30 crankset (2010)
- FSA steel road BB30 bottom bracket
- Shimano Dura Ace 7900 chain
- Shimano Ultrgra 6700 11-25 or 11-28 cassette (soon to also have a SRAM 1070 11-32)
- FSA headset with SRAM carbon spacers (stock)
- Lizard Skin DPS 1.8 bar tape
- Yokozuna Reaction Cable Kit in white
- LOOK Keo 2 Max carbon pedals
- Specialized Romin Pro carbon saddle
- 2 x Chinese knockoff carbon bontrager XXX lite bottle cages
- AEST titanium skewer set
- Easton EA70 wheels
- Michelin Pro4 Service Course
- standard weight tubes
I'll add more progress pictures and final build sheet as I complete procurement of parts... Still waiting on a few pieces to come in (BB and cables).
Sprinter trapped in a Clydesdale body
2009 Trek 2.1 full DA
2011 Focus Izalco Pro full SRAM Force
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
1) planetx cnc brakes, they're plenty of stopping power at a great weight
2) crankset, the new red is stiffer than force, can be had for $350, and is much lighter
3) ward ti spindles, no weight limit!!
Also, the ec90 stem is pretty heavy, look into the ritchey c260
Have fun, looks like a blast! How do the Yokozuna cables ride? I'm on campy cables, wondering if its an upgrade?
- Similar Topics
- Last post
Focus Izalco Max 2017 build
Last post by 2phat2slow « Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:59 am
Posted in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.by 2phat2slow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:59 am » in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.
- 0 Replies
- 1110 Views
Last post by 2phat2slow
Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:59 am
Focus Izalco Max
Last post by fastsi « Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:31 pmReplies: 39
Posted in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.by muffinman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:54 pm » in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.
- 39 Replies
- 7394 Views
Last post by fastsi
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:31 pm
- 14 Replies
- 2048 Views
Last post by prendrefeu
Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:09 pm
- 6 Replies
- 1136 Views
Last post by octave
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:34 pm
- 1 Replies
- 399 Views
Last post by MrRobot
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:13 am