Spokes - suggestions for light and strong?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RedRacer

by RedRacer

I am having a pair of custom XC/all-mountain do-it-all wheels built using Stan's ZTR Arch EX 32H rims (400g) but I need to find the most appropriate black spokes.

Questions:

Sapim D-Light and DT Swiss Revolution seem to be the best options so far. Am I overlooking a better option?

Are aluminum nipples at all suitable for this kind of build or is brass the smart, reliable way to go?

Does anyone use one-cross or two-cross for the front wheel? Does this save much weight vs three-cross?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sstefanov

by sstefanov

In a properly built wheel any spoke will be stronger element. Much stronger than the aluminium rim or hub flanges.

The revolutions you mentioned are quite thin and I will not go less than 3 cross with them.

If you go with revolutions and 3 cross, and with a good build you should be fine. Aluminium nipples are also quite reliable. I have never seen a failed aluminium nipple in a properly build wheel.

And remember - the build quality of the custom wheel is the most important one. Even the best components will fail badly in a shitty build.

Stefan

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

alu nipples will be fine so long as your spokes are not too short. Also ally nipples are more easily damaged but they do save weight. The weight difference between 1x 2x and 3x is small. If disc brakes are being used 3x is best but 28 spoke disc brake wheels can be relaible. For stiffness while braking I would use the Sapim D-light. The Revulotion or Laser spokes are not meant to be used with disc brake wheels I think. Rim on rim brake MTB XC wheels. I have them in one of my builds. My new race wheels will be built with D-light spokes.

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Good info :thumbup:

I should have mentioned that disc brakes (7" front rotor) will be used so perhaps I should stay with three-cross and D-Light spokes.

The alloy nipples might be worth a try if they are typically reliable.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Alloy nipples can be reliable but I would only use them on MTB wheels for racing as they are more easily damaged. It not like an MTB does not have encounters with roack trees, branch is the wheels or anything like that is it.

I will use alloy nipples on my race wheel this year. I am intending XTR M985 hubs on DT Swiss XR350 rim with D-light spokes and alloy nipples. 32H 3x cross lacing.

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

You have not mentioned your weight. This is an inportant factor.

Sapim CX-Ray, DT Swiss Aerolite or Sapim D-light will all perform. Simply strong and proven spokes for sturdy wheels and/or heavier riders.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

The Cxrays from Sapim may be worth looking at. They are an ovalized blade shape which makes them not only aero from the front but with a slight yaw as well. They seem to be consistently durable and quite resistant to gouging. I dropped a chain off the backside of the cassette towards the end of the season and the heads in pull spokes still look like new.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com