Can someone help me identify this frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I've picked up this frame:

anyone know anything about it? It has a sticker that says reynolds 853 butted frame and stays and it will be over 5 years old, but that's all I can tell you. The forks are SUNN 1" aluminium straight power forks, I don't think they came with the frame, any info on that too?
Last edited by istigatrice on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

durianrider

by durianrider

Werent they made by Venom?
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

istigatrice

by istigatrice

No idea, I was told it was made by "Paul Donahugh"

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Lemond75

by Lemond75

Cougar was originally the brand name for Terry Dolan's frames in Liverpool, the highly respected frame builder to Chris Boardman, Bradley Wiggins and a whole host of national, world and Olympic champions over the years. I can't remember when, but he did sell the brand name to Paul Donohue in either the late 90's or early 2000's.

Paul built the frames for the British based pro team Team Brite in the mid nineties (Wiggins, Olympic medallists Jonny Clay, Chris Newton et al) and whilst he doesn't have the same reputation as Terry Dolan I'm sure you've still got yourself a nice frame there.

bura

by bura

@ Lemond75 . :thumbup:

Just want to add that yours may be some of the "later" Cougars after Terry Dolan sold his brand.
Earlier Cougars had the original Cougar steel fork with some Cougar heads engraved left and right into the forks crown.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

istigatrice

by istigatrice

No cougar heads in the fork crown, so fork is either not stock or the frame isn't a terry Dolan one.

Some more info:

takes a 27.2mm seatpost
takes a 130mm hub
no serial number on BB (should I be expecting one?)
has a Campagnolo Chorus headset and Cinelli criterium handle-bars, would these be stock?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Cougar's were originally built by Terry Dolan, but he'd gone by 93 or 94 and began using his own name for his bikes. His name disappeared off them too at this point.

Cougar trundled along for a few years, then i think most of the workforce left and set up Corrado which AFAIK only lasted a few years.
The name Cougar did reappear for a while on some fairly generic aluminium frames for a while in the early 2000s with paintjobs similar to the kodak/ Boardman ones of the early 90's.

I cant recall them making out of 853; 531 + 653 and some tig welded tri-frame which i can't remember what it was made from, and Ti as well as Columbus SLX.
I think most came with a chromed for with the cougar in the crown.

Mine was SLX in a ltd edition Barcelona olympics paint job (rwb) with chrome forks and half chrome rear.
if i can get some pics i will upload later; my friend still has the frame..
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I can confirm that the frame is magnetic, if that helps pin down a year. If they started making alloy in 2000 and 130mm was introduced in 1990s then this frame should be from then...