Look 585 or CAAD 10 frame for me?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thencameyou

by thencameyou

Just thought I would chime in (have a Look 586 and a CAAD9 so have some idea of both frames).

Look feels much smoother (compared to almost anything else - most recently tried a BMC SLR01). Weight should be down around 1000g (or even a bit less depending on size - my 586SL was 1070g in XL with uncut seatpost) and HSC fork ~330g. To be fair, the weight is just a bonus on the Look, you're buying it for the ride quality.

CAAD is definitely a good alternative (and the '10 addresses the issues re: front end tracking for heavier riders), but it isn't a gran fondo frame (at least not on NZ roads) - but stiff, light for an alloy frame, pretty good ride quality, nice geo). Not convinced that BB30 is as good as Cannondale makes out (unless you can afford SiSL, I'm running a GXP SRAM power meter crank with Wheels manufacturing adapters, which work really well).

elviento

by elviento

That's a $2500 frame v. a $800 frame. Not exactly comparable, although you probably can't go wrong with either.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davidalone

by davidalone

question, where are you getting a look 585 at $1000?

OrPe

by OrPe

davidalone wrote:question, where are you getting a look 585 at $1000?

i'd guess used on ebay. they tend to go for less than $1000 (around $800 IIRC).

Oren

Ahillock

by Ahillock

davidalone wrote:question, where are you getting a look 585 at $1000?

Yes, as OrPe mentioned I am looking on eBay/CL/bike fourm listings. Usually they go for a bit under $1000, but obviously depend on condition and year. I have seen some go for as low as $600 that look to be in good condition still. We shall see what I can find.

gitsome

by gitsome

+1000

I know its preaching to the choir at this point, but my 595 is amazing frame, light (13.5 with Edge .45's), stiff as hell yet somehow, mysteriously, comfortable even 4-5 hours or more. Truly amazing frame. I imagine the 585 is just as good.

And... btw, I took a 180 degree crash at 20-25 mph and the Look is still mint condition, I have no idea how it survived (maybe my face took the impact more than the frame) but I expected it to be toast and its good-as-new so they are built extremely well!
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

For that money, the 585. For sure.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

caad10 is such a good frame for the money. seriously

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Yes nathan, the CAAD10 is a great frame and a reason why I have test ridden one and am considering buy it. But for the money and taking the advice of members on here, the 585 might be not only the better option for me, but overall the better bike.

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

I don't understand why carbon is listed as a positive?
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli

Ahillock

by Ahillock

What do you mean? What is wrong with carbon? Unlike aluminum, when carbon frames are damage it can be repaired by guys like Calfee and Crumpton. Also in this example, the 585 is lighter than the CAAD 10. This is WW after all. Also from other reviews and members comments, I would say the carbon 585 rides significantly smoother than the CAAD 10.

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

There's nothing WRONG with carbon...unless you're racing, in which case, a comparable crash on both bikes could easily mean a very expensive repair on the LOOK vs. a scratch on the caad. I don't know that the LOOK can get down lighter than the caad, can it? Fully tuned? My teammate's size 60 caad10 '12 black inc comes in at 15.3 lbs. with his heavy-as-anything Cosmic carbone SR's.

All I'm saying is that there's a reason the cannondale, an ~$800 frame, resells for $6-700 where the LOOK, a ~$2500 frame, resells for ~ $800-$1,000 in comparable condition.

Listen, the caad...It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. Get the new Black Inc. :)

Eli

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Well, the Look 585 comes in a verified 1kg dead-on for a Medium (54 equivalent).

Whats the weight of a CAAD 10 for a equivalent size ? ( if you want to talk about weight .... :roll: )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

100 grams more claimed weight, I assume it's talking about the 54. But that isn't anodized :)

I'd pay 100 grams for the relative safety of being a bit more comfortable crashing, but that's just me. Under 15 lbs. is good for me, I know it's not for most here.

Eli