Circa 2009 Easton EC90 bars--carbon, right?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sandico

by sandico

Bought a bike on eBay 2009 Cdale SS. Lots of good components. One thing I'm unclear on is the bars. They clearly say EC90 then the tape covers the rest so not sure if they are SL or SLX etc.

What is clear is the finish appears to be what I'd expect on aluminum bars. Short of scratching them with a metal object I'm not sure how to tell.

I have always thought that in Easton speak, EC was always carbon. Am I mistaken?

system787

by system787

The C in EC is for carbon, A in EA for aluminum, so no confusion there.

I don't think there are EC90 SL or SLX bars, just a set of EC90 compact round bars, or EC90 aero anatomic bars

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jostanderhub

by jostanderhub

system787 wrote:The C in EC is for carbon, A in EA for aluminum, so no confusion there.

I don't think there are EC90 SL or SLX bars, just a set of EC90 compact round bars, or EC90 aero anatomic bars

The bar is named EC90 SLX 3

http://www.bike-o-mania.de/img/p/3063700-Easton-Rennradlenker-EC90slx3.jpg

sandico

by sandico

Yes I guess that could be it. I have a set of older EC90s but the carbon weave is visible. Based on that pic, it does look like the black area before the red part might be mistaken for aluminum.

Any thoughts on whether moving to like ZIPP or something would produce meaningful weight savings? I am thinking 30+ grams, I am not buying new ZIPPS just to save 10 grams.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

"EC" anything from Easton means Carbon.

sandico

by sandico

I knew that but these bars sure looked like aluminum. The visible black finish in the center looks like the shot peened finish an aluminum. I pulled the bar end plug and peeled back a bit of tape and see the red carbon which the EC90 SLX3 has. But sure could have fooled me based on appearance.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Funny that they'd opt for a non-CF looking finish. I have an old EC90 flat mountain bike bar but it clearly has a 3k looking top weave. My EC90 road post on the other hand has something similar to what you describe - it is a clear-coated UD finish but you need to look *really* closely at it to see that it is CF.Iit just looks a bit pearly.

On the other hand you'd never know my 3T Ergonova Team bar is CF either...

sandico

by sandico

Agree but if you look at link jostanderhub posted above you can see that thr black portion on the bar top looks alum. Bizarre deciosn agreed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com