Lynskey R330 Build - Complete - photos starting on pg 4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nspace

by nspace

Omni racer titanium seatpost clamp fail:

Time to find something new to replace this. Now I am all nervous about lightweight clamps...and I am not even that heavy!

fa63

by fa63

I have had great luck with the Woodman Deathgrip SL Ti clamp (and I am quite heavy). Weighed 11g on my scale.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I think you should get an extralite ultraClamp to match your stem.

nspace

by nspace

Both good options.

I like the idea of matching the stem. I also like the idea of something in silver to match headset and hubs. Extralite, New Ultimate, Woodman, and Tune all don't make a silver one. Don't like the looks of the KCNC one either.

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Yikes. I can report the one I recommended to you (same as on my Helix) is still going strong.

Simonhi

by Simonhi

Cheers! wrote:I think you should get an extralite ultraClamp to match your stem.

The bolt snapped on my Extralite clamp, I think it is Ti ???

I also managed to round out the Extralight headset bolt on my bike when I was carrying out some routine maintenance, it was like it was made of chocolate !!! I really like Extralight stuff but after two bad experiences, one involving need to be rescused 40miles from home I won't be using any of their bolts in future.

I use Thomposon seat clamps on all my bikes, not the lightest but good enough for Firefly bikes is good enough for me.

nspace

by nspace

I mentioned to Cheers in a IM while discussing the Extralite clamp, it seems that a lot of these lightweight clamps don't use a rotating barrel nut. As soon as the 2 faces of the clamp (threaded area, and surface for the bolt head to rest) are not parallel, the head of the bolt gets side loaded. The Hope seatpost clamps are notorious for this, and the bold heads snap right off. The Parts of Passion clamp actually looks pretty good for this reason, despite being as mere 7g.

Is that how the bolt snapped on your Extralite clamp?

Thomson is definitely a consideration.

Simonhi

by Simonhi

nspace wrote:I mentioned to Cheers in a IM while discussing the Extralite clamp, it seems that a lot of these lightweight clamps don't use a rotating barrel nut. As soon as the 2 faces of the clamp (threaded area, and surface for the bolt head to rest) are not parallel, the head of the bolt gets side loaded. The Hope seatpost clamps are notorious for this, and the bold heads snap right off. The Parts of Passion clamp actually looks pretty good for this reason, despite being as mere 7g.

Is that how the bolt snapped on your Extralite clamp?

Thomson is definitely a consideration.

It is as good a reason as to how it broke for me. It was making a bit of noise in the ten or so miles before the break, a little slippage, then when tightening, bang, Game Over !!!

Anyway, I don't want to muddy up this thread of this lovely Lynskey, my only expereience is that for some things it is better to go a little heavier and get something a bit more beefy !!!

Cheers,

Si :-)

MeestahChow

by MeestahChow

nspace wrote:Both good options.

I like the idea of matching the stem. I also like the idea of something in silver to match headset and hubs. Extralite, New Ultimate, Woodman, and Tune all don't make a silver one. Don't like the looks of the KCNC one either.

We've had some luck removing anodizing without removing material. Plus our $5 buffing wheel is still going strong. So let me know if you need some stripping and polishing done.

photo.JPG

nspace

by nspace

Still absolutely loving this bike. I have made some changes since my first post.

- Scrapped the Kurve saddle. Wasn't for me (not to mention it was pretty porky)
- Replaced with Fizik Arione CX with carbon rails
(The white stripe ties in nicely to the white stripe between the faceplate on the 3T bars since I didn't go with a 3T stem)
- Put on a Hope seatpost clamp I had kicking around in the mean time until I decide on which new clamp to get
- Added Race Ware Direct 200/500 Garmin right hand mount
- Added Dog Fang chain catcher for security

Total weight is at 7.0kg or 15.48 lbs.