Deda Speciale Handlebar - heavy weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Just received new handlebar - Deda Speciale 31.

Listed weight at 310gr. Actual 426gr! 37% over!

Shallow drop is similiar to Ritchey Classic, although the drop is slightly off centred so it appears to cast outside of the ergo when viewed from above or straight on.

Nice price @ £21 compared to £60 odd for Newton (which is out of stock everywhere...) but horrendous weight & % overage on the actual to listed weight, never expected it to be that bad.

SL58

by SL58

I am always amazed with people participating in this forum and
still buying Deda.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mitre_tester

by mitre_tester

There's nothing wrong with Deda kit apart from the gulf between claimed and actual weight.

Look on the bright side; your new bar is 32% stiffer than you were expecting!

cerro

by cerro

£39 for saving almost 200g is cheap. Really nice drop and likes Deda too.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Yeah fair enough - price versus weight, it would be an easy win if you'd started with the 'speciale' to begin and were moving over to a Newton bar, but I've come from a Zero 100 bar which was listed at 240gr with actual at 275gr (So expected 10% overage, kinda like the stems...)

The Newton wasn't available in stock anywhere, so went with the slightly porky one as a compromise.

Figured I could live with an extra 100gr or so, but another 200gr over ideal weight (215gr ish) for h/bar is annoying.

Deda needs a weight warning label!

mitre_tester

by mitre_tester

mr_tim wrote:Deda needs a weight warning label!

Anybody who uses the search on here will get a pretty clear warning about Italian scales, especially the ones at Deda

cryoplasm

by cryoplasm

Why did you move from a Zero100 to a Speciale?

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Didn't get on with the ergo/hoods position on the Zero - much too flat a transition between the flat bar and the ergo.

Also with classic italian drop shape there is 20mm difference in height which I couldn't loose when using the Zero as had already take off all spacers.

Get the feeling the bar probably works best for shimano style ergo as the hood riding position is more contained entirely on the lever itself, rather than being spread between the bar & hood which is more the case with Campag.

Would have got the Newton but no stocks available at the moment, so it was next best thing. Will get the Newton when it becomes available as 200gr extra is too much to live with + the bar diameter is soooo thick on the 'speciale' you can't get a end cap into it so ended up with honky wine bottle corks to fill the hole & tape end :( not so cool with SR.

cryoplasm

by cryoplasm

Looking on the positives, you got more material for the price of a Speciale.

Curious, the new shape of the ergo bars introduced to the market as of late, such as the Zero100, actually incorporate all features of anatomic/round/classic into one bar. Obviously switching to a new bar of such type requires rider alter their hand positions somewhat. I.e one isn't going to find a particular position in exactly the same place on the new bars compared to their old bar.

However, the new bars do actually provide more positions than would have been available previously. This is why I think they are better.

Rush

by Rush

Well I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread as I was considering this bar. It's a bit sad that all handlebars are black these days. I'm after a classic silver bar for a Titanium bike. Ritchey make their classic in silver, but that's about it.

fletch62

by fletch62

No way is that bar 426g. I have a Deda Speciale in 26mm clamp and its 292g.
I also have a Cinelli Vai Palm bar which is 341g.
The Cinelli is the heaviest bar i have seen, judging but the listings on here. But i love the shape and its cheap.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Rush wrote:Well I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread as I was considering this bar. It's a bit sad that all handlebars are black these days. I'm after a classic silver bar for a Titanium bike. Ritchey make their classic in silver, but that's about it.

Oval Concepts do quality stuff in silver.

Rush

by Rush

Really? Everything I see on their website is black.

bones

by bones

mitre_tester wrote:
mr_tim wrote:Deda needs a weight warning label!

Anybody who uses the search on here will get a pretty clear warning about Italian scales, especially the ones at Deda

For those of us Weight Weenies that don't know about this Italian or Deda weight issue bias, could you please fill us in?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well the Itailans managed (for a few months) to make neutrino's travel faster than light so it is hardly surprising that they have anti gravity in Italy and everything weighs a bit less.