Dura Ace c35 - any thoughts.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

I'm looking for a good set of clinchers for long (100mile+) days in the saddle and these keep popping up on my radar. Look great, prices I have seen fluctuate but overall appear to have the usual DA guile and craft if a little heavier than other wheels. Weight not an issue as I am a Clyde so can anyone offer an opinion on the C35 as an all round wheel set? Would imagine they go up well, descend great and monster along on the flat?

Thanks.

konky

by konky

I just got a set of c35 tubular wheels. They are totallly bomb proof and have a really classy road feel. I would totally recommend them. I guess the clinchers would be just as good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

konky wrote:I just got a set of c35 tubular wheels. They are totallly bomb proof and have a really classy road feel. I would totally recommend them. I guess the clinchers would be just as good.

Thanks, been mulling some hand built a23 with decent hubs which appeals but always thught DA kit is excellent stuff.

As much as people love the A23 most reviews say they look a little budget style of rim but ride well with the 23mm thing going on.

Mmmm, what to do, what to do.

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

diegogarcia wrote:
konky wrote:I just got a set of c35 tubular wheels. They are totallly bomb proof and have a really classy road feel. I would totally recommend them. I guess the clinchers would be just as good.

Thanks, been mulling some hand built a23 with decent hubs which appeals but always thught DA kit is excellent stuff.

As much as people love the A23 most reviews say they look a little budget style of rim but ride well with the 23mm thing going on.

Mmmm, what to do, what to do.

Hey hey, the C35's are highly regarded. Quality hub, quality rim. I've got a new set for sale.
Thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=100538&p=854404#p854404

PM me for details.

:beerchug:

fordred

by fordred

Used c24 before and it's one of the most comfortable wheels out there. My shamal feels like a rock compared to it.
I believe C35 is going to ride like C24 but with a slightly deeper profile for that aero advantage. I would go for it if not for the significantly higher price.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Sorry nothing to add to the OP question other than the DA hubs I have are tops although I did have a rear hub with a faulty engagement mech. The three pawls were out of synch resulting in engagement with a single pawl. The ratchet would then slip and re-engage with a hard clunk. Replaced no questions asked but a surprise defect for DA.

I too am debating between a C35 and A23 on Chris Kings with CXrays. I have an A23 on DA hubs and the ride quality with 28/32 drilling will not be surpassed. Aero? Well no, but superior in all other respects. The risk with the Shimano stuff is if you damage a rim or hub 3 or 4 years from now you may have a problem obtaining a replacement. The switch to 11 speed could compound this issue.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Mr.Gib wrote:Sorry nothing to add to the OP question other than the DA hubs I have are tops although I did have a rear hub with a faulty engagement mech. The three pawls were out of synch resulting in engagement with a single pawl. The ratchet would then slip and re-engage with a hard clunk. Replaced no questions asked but a surprise defect for DA.

I too am debating between a C35 and A23 on Chris Kings with CXrays. I have an A23 on DA hubs and the ride quality with 28/32 drilling will not be surpassed. Aero? Well no, but superior in all other respects. The risk with the Shimano stuff is if you damage a rim or hub 3 or 4 years from now you may have a problem obtaining a replacement. The switch to 11 speed could compound this issue.

Some interesting points.

The thing that interests me is the 'ride quality' that people refer to with the 23mm rims. However, as a purely social recreational bike riders who has tried lots of stuff over the years, to me, sometimes it all feels the same?!?!?.

I did run Shimano C24 four years ago and still to this day cite them as the best magic carpet style ride yet, which was detectable. The thing I noted since I sold them to fund other wheels is nothing has given me the feeling of a top end wheel like these, hence looking at the C35. I have tried a few others Zipp included but nothing hs touched them. Perhaps it was my first true upgrade wheel as you only get that 'bang' once I think....

petromyzon

by petromyzon

From what I've heard (nothing scientific) the C35 are closer to the C50s than to the C24s, a stiff, racy road feel rather than a magic carpet. I would imagine you can find more compliant, comfy wheels out there.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Agree - the C35 are a stiffer ride. A traditional build with A23's will be that magic carpet feeling you are looking for. With 25 mm tires it is crazy good. And if you have the guts to lean the bike over, no one will stay with you around corners and tight curves.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

konky

by konky

What characterises my tubular C35s is classy. I would say they are quite compliant and certainly feel less brittle than say Bora Ultra wheels. Boras feel a bit more racy and are pretty bomb proof but the Dura Ace wheels feel nucular bomb proof. I can hammer over a level crossing on my C35s without a thought whereas on my Boras I was a bit careful. C35s are as tough as Ksyriums but also have that classy pro feel. They perform pretty good in the aero department but are not bothered by crosswinds. For all these reasons I think they are the best high end ALL ROUND every day wheels out there. If you want super aero go 50mm+ Zipp, if you want incredibly stiff and thoroughbred race go Bora Ultra; but classy every day bomb proof it has to be C35.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

The Shimano carbon wheels are comfortable, the nipples go into the carbon dampen the buzz of the road.
I found the older DA with scandium rim to be most durable and a little wider than the carbon DAs.
For adventure century days in the middle of no where I feel a higher spoke count gives me more peace of mind.

Does anyone know what the C35 clincher actually weight.

civdic

by civdic

I bought the clincher after I watched a 230 lbs friend of mine race cross on them. I liked them so much I bought a set of tubs as well.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I haven't actually ridden a set of the C35's but I do like them from what I've seen and heard. Despite all the wheel specific companies out there spending mega dollars marketing their wheels, the hubs and wheels from Shimano and Campagnolo remain some of the best designed, durable, serviceable and sweet rolling wheelsets available IMO. And if you're running Shimano drivetrains, you can't go wrong using their wheels too.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Thanks. For now I have decided on the other option, but appreciate the replies.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

My thoughts are that the c24s are more comfortable and feel better through corners than the a23.

The braking surface on a23 is of inferior quality and performance, and it is very narrow too. The rims I think are pretty low quality.

Personally I think you'd be wasting your time building the a23 rims as anything other than a super budget wheel.

As for the c35s, well I don't know about the clinchers but the tubs are stunningly good. Stiff but smooth as you like.