BH carbon cross feedback?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

Anyone have experience with the BH carbon cross bike? Trying to decide if it should be in the range of consideration. Any feedback would be appreciated.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Identical geometry as the LaPierre in my size. Both have the same 53.5TT, 72.3 HTA, 73.9STA, 115 HT, 42.5 CS.

Although there arent too many pics of the BH out - it looks like the same Taiwanese frame.

-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coloclimber

by coloclimber

-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

mud clearance in the rear traingle is poor

what is that thing behind the bottom bracket for ?
to collect mud ?
Last edited by elmar schrauth on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

Thanks for the input. In Boulder we don't get much muddy cross, but to race in Portland or out east that would suck. Guess I'm still lookin'...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

jcrr

by jcrr

Sorry for resurecting an old thread :oops:

I'm wondering if somebody has actually ridden this BH frame and can attest the seat stay/BB area does not shed mud well. It looks that way from the above pictures, but I've never been close to one

thanx

jc
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

bones

by bones

It's nice, but not disc brake ready.

jcrr

by jcrr

yeah, it looks nice. Actually, the next generation with internal cables looks nicER, check it out here: http://www.bhbikes-us.com/pdf/BH_RX1.pdf

And, right, no tabs for discs.

But what about the mud in the chainstays/bb area? talk to me about the mud....
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

bones

by bones

jcrr wrote:yeah, it looks nice. Actually, the next generation with internal cables looks nicER, check it out here: http://www.bhbikes-us.com/pdf/BH_RX1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tim Johnson, pro rider on Cannondale currently, has blogged about the huge advantages of discs for wet weather and especially for muddy courses. For one, the discs don't pick up the wet, slushy grime as much as rims, so braking is about 1000x better in inclement conditions. I mean, that alone would make me not ever consider getting a high-end carbon CX bike without that huge advantage. Why spend over 2K for something not to at least have the disc tabs? Might as well just get a low-end to mid-tier CX bike without discs instead and save a thousand.

rockdude

by rockdude

bones wrote:
jcrr wrote:yeah, it looks nice. Actually, the next generation with internal cables looks nicER, check it out here: http://www.bhbikes-us.com/pdf/BH_RX1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tim Johnson, pro rider on Cannondale currently, has blogged about the huge advantages of discs for wet weather and especially for muddy courses. For one, the discs don't pick up the wet, slushy grime as much as rims, so braking is about 1000x better in inclement conditions. I mean, that alone would make me not ever consider getting a high-end carbon CX bike without that huge advantage. Why spend over 2K for something not to at least have the disc tabs? Might as well just get a low-end to mid-tier CX bike without discs instead and save a thousand.

Do you not think he is paid to say that? He is on the cannanodale team and paid to ride and promote their bikes. The fact is that he only raced it one or two times all season. I was at two mud races and saw his disc bike, but it never saw use. There will come a point when he will be made to race it because it will be cannondale's main marketing objective. This will be the same with all Pro's who have Disc in the line up.

There are pluses and minus to Disc, but rest assured, it will not dictate who is on the podium. Some will like them, some will not. All the talk is much to do with nothing, just marketing to sale more higher priced bikes.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

bones

by bones

rockdude wrote:
bones wrote:
jcrr wrote:yeah, it looks nice. Actually, the next generation with internal cables looks nicER, check it out here: http://www.bhbikes-us.com/pdf/BH_RX1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you not think he is paid to say that? He is on the cannanodale team and paid to ride and promote their bikes.

Please do a search on Tim Johnson and the blog where he has stated his growing preference for disc brakes. I am a highly competitive rider and while I do not personally know Tim, I do know of others who know him. Yes, 2nd hand info is not a reliable thing, but in reading what Cyclingnews has had to say in interviews with Tim, he doesn't strike me as a product whore. He has stated that he CHOSE to ride the disc-braked bike over his other Cannondale frame. It would be a total lie if he was in any way dishonest about it. And he was genuine in his thoughts and feedback to the magazine about it. The 2nd place rider in the race in which he beat asked Tim in the parking lot about the discs afterwards and also gave it a try.

So, before you go on an assume that pro riders are liars paid to whore out products, take a closer look. I would suggest typing into Google - Tim Johnson disc brakes cyclocross bike, or something like that.

headwind816

by headwind816

I believe disc brakes are the way of the future, and I plan to be sure my next CX rig has the tabs. Having said that, I want to see how the disc brake technology develops over the next year or two before dumping my canti-brakes.

Frans

by Frans

Check out Competitve Cyclist, they have a nice big sale on the BHs and some good pix. Make you're own conclusions, it looks better in matt black:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/frame ... 10810.html

bones

by bones

With discs overwhelmingly coming into cyclocross, I would be very hesitant to get a frame with Cantilever brakes. Specialized are already having difficulties keeping up with demand for their disc cross bike. Ask any bike shop which they sell easier. In two years, you won't be able to buy a Cantilever CX bike unless its marked 50% off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com