Trek Equinox TTX 9.9 SSL - Custom Paint

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Tonypgst

by Tonypgst

This past winter, this frame fell into my hands from a local friend for a steal. I started modifications with the expectation of stripping the frame of paint and going with a black/carbon stealth theme. After some work with Carbolift, I decided to change direction halfway through stripping. This frame began life in the Timex Orange and White color scheme. After a custom paint job by a local friend and my component painting, this is the result. I used a lot of components I already had or purchased used/on sale items, particularly the aerobars and cockpit components. I think this represents a good balance of reasonable cost, weight, aero, and cosmetics.

The paint color is French Racing Blue. The paint code used is from the 2012 Jaguar XKR-S. I kept the logos simple and they are painted on, not stickers. The color changes based on the light and the photo below is only one example of how it shows up. I can't wait for the clouds to clear so I can take proper pictures outside with good and varied lighting. BTW, the paint cost me less than $100 as I was only charged for paint/supplies.

The fit is just from my testing on the trainer, and it will be dialed in once I get to my local fitter. Steerer tube length, spacer, seat height, seat angle, etc. will be adjusted as required.

I welcome all opinions and comments, but I'm not looking to upgrade any components other than adding my aero bottle, BTA bottle, and garmin mount on the extensions.

frame: Trek Equinox TTX 9.9 SSL
fork: Trek TTX 9.9 SSL
wheels: Edge C/C 65mm, C4 Hub front, Powertap SL+ rear, Sapim CX-Ray Spokes
tires:Vittoria Corsa EVO CX / Vittoria Latex Tubes
saddle: Adamo Racing2
seatpost: Bontrager XXX
seat clamp: integrated
cranks: Dura Ace 7800 (painted black)
chainrings: Rotor Aero Q-Rings (painted black)
ft der : Dura Ace 7800
rear der: Sram Force
shifters: Sram R2C
cassette: Dura Ace 7900 11-23
chain: KMC X10SL
brake calipers: Dura Ace 7800 (painted black)
brake pads: Edge Gray Carbon Pads
Base bar: 3T Brezza
Pads / Extensions: 3T Carbon
Brake Levers: Shimano 7800 Aero
stem: Bontrager XXX
Headset: Cane Creek
pedals: Keo 2 Max Carbon
cages: TBD
housing/cables: SRAM and Jagwire
tape: Fizik Microtek
computer: Garmin Edge 500

IMG_5861 by tonypgst, on Flickr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hansonator69

by hansonator69

Unique. Needs a disc though.
Slam your stem.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

I agree it needs a disc but that is a very tasteful build - I really like it! Some people build their TT bikes too gaudy for my liking but you nailed it.

Here - I embedded a larger picture for you:

mrfish

by mrfish

Great job, that's really nice!

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I'm a fan of the Trek TT and think you did an awesome job, and the color with the black components just look perfect. I think I would like to see it with a disc and HED three spoke front wheel.
Thanks for posting.

Tonypgst

by Tonypgst

Thanks for the positive comments. As this is my first TT bike, I'll have to wait some time before I invest in a disc or 3 spoke aero front wheel combo. I agree though, it would look good! :)

eippo1

by eippo1

Wow, nice paint job on it. Sweet bike

bobs

by bobs

Hey everyone,
This is my first post - I was investigating Carbo-lift and found that many of you have been refinishing your own bikes. I'm hoping you can help me with two questions:
Stripping down to the carbon (either Carbo-lift or sanding or both), are you spraying the base coat without a primer (water or solvent based) and then clear? Did you have any issues with the solvents penetrating the carbon? My plan is to use a water based base color with a low VOC clear and airbrushing the logos.
If you went with a nude finish, my assumption is that you used vinyl and then clear? Once again, any issues?

I'm really new to this and have a broken frame to experiment on prior to the race bike so any comments would be appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tonypgst

by Tonypgst

In the case of this frame, the bike received primer coat, then base coats, then multiple clear coats. All paint is water based. The logos are painted on. I wasn't worried about weight with this paint job.

Regarding the carbolift, it works better with a roughed up surface. It does work, but takes patience and the correct temperatures. In the end, I just wanted something other than a dark/black frame, I already have that look with my road bike.