CF post for cross.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jcrr

by jcrr

I've lurked on this forum for many years, never felt like I had a weight-worthy question or comment. I got something I need some advice on.

For my CX alu tank, I'd like use a CF seatpost to dampen the ride (as well as reduce weight).
26.8mm diameter. Setback preferred.
62kg rider.

Q1-Seatpost recommendations?
Q2-Found an old Easton CT2. The seat clamp (alu) has unbonded from the post (carbon). Can't realistically take off the clamp, so I'm looking for a very low viscosity (ie, very liquid) carbon-metal adhesive to pour into the minimal space btwn clamp and post. Any recommendations?

any/all comments appreciated.

JC
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

limba

by limba

If you race I'd get a Thomson Masterpiece (aluminum) post and just deal with it. If you don't race I have that seatpost you're trying to fix and it's been hassle free for over 10 years. If you can fix it great but I wouldn't race carbon unless you're a light and skilled rider.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jcrr

by jcrr

I do like Thomson stuff (have a seatpost on my commuter). I have been racing an old, heavy-as-lead, Avenir mtb post.

Though I'm not going to claim to be skilled, I *think* I can get away with some lighter stuff, as I'm usually right around 61kilos (currently 62- cross season has led to lots of :beerchug: )

I'm going to see if I can find some adhesive that I can work with to fix the Easton. It's good to hear they are durable.

thanks for the comment.

jc

jcrr

by jcrr

Anybody else got a suggestion for a good, reliable CX carbon seatpost (26.8mm diameter w/ setback) ?

jc

captainclarko

by captainclarko

26.8mm is a really strange size. If you were in need of a 27.2 or a 31.6 (maybe even 30.9 if this were the MTB forum) then you would have plenty of answers. It sucks to say it, but you may not be able to shave grams in this department. You could try a saddle with carbon rails to dampen your ride a little. There are of course many other factors that I'm sure you've already accounted for as far as ride quality is concerned but given the weird sizing, you may be SOL.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

I´ve seen carbon posts breaking in CX and made some for a CX with mostly failures as result, in a CX size post they arent that long you get a very little weight gain with a Thomson post instead for a New Ultimate carbon and always worrying about breakage for the latter.

Not worth it, guess why AX don´t warranty posts for CX use.
Experimental Prototype

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com