Cheap, light seatpost

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Guy

by Guy

Any recommendations for a cheapish seatpost that has good weight and is plain black (or graphics that are removable with acetone)? 31.6mm.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrfish

by mrfish

Ebay. Use the weight listings and pick something moderately light and out of date which meets your set back and extension needs.

To buy new I would look at Ritchey's offerings and compare from there. They are normally pretty weight-competitive for a given amount of money.

Or just head over to wiggle, select seat posts and select £40-60 price range. I even did it for you - my top picks:
- Ritchey Pro Carbon or WCS
- Thomson Elite
- Deda zero 100
- Zipp service course
- 3t Dorico Pro

IMHO buying a cheap seatpost is a false economy - it should never wear out, so buying an expensive one to save weight is a one-time investment. Secondly cheap posts don't absorb vibrations, so make your bike significantly less comfortable than a thin-walled carbon post.

LegalizeMyCannondale

by LegalizeMyCannondale

USE Alien - graphics are easy to remove; decent weight.

Guy

by Guy

LegalizeMyCannondale wrote:USE Alien - graphics are easy to remove; decent weight.

Thanks.

Mr Fish - I'm not asking the question without some prior thought. Things like the Thompson - the logos are not removable via acetone. I was wondering about the alloy Ritcheys (I can't be bothered to sand clearcoated carbon).

3T was my first thought as I've got the bar and stem but they are out of stock everywhere it seems (including Wiggle, Chain Reaction and Sigma Sport where I usually get 3T components).

I'm not throwing money at this as it's for my winter bike.

NGMN

by NGMN

Maybe woodman? Definitely have some cheap light seatposts, particularly if you don't need setback. It looks like the silver "Woodman" graphics could be removed easily.

the jackel

by the jackel

Hi Guys,

Im looking for some advice for a new seatpost. It needs to be a post that is 31.6, 350mm long and with about 20mm setback. I am obviously looking for something that is pretty light weight but also a post that is gloss black (UD carbon ideally) with limited graphics. I don't have a crazy budget, maybe 200 euros as a max. It doesn't have to be carbon but would be preferred. I'm currently riding a Toupe Ti saddle if that helps

Ideas so far are
1. Fizik Cyrano carbon
2. Zipp Speed post SL
3. Engage Revit

Does anyone have any real world experience of any of these? How accurate are the claimed weights? (I currently have a Zipp SC SL which is 283g vs claimied of 220g so wanting to avoid this happening again). Any other ideas that I may have missed? Just to preempt the suggestion of Thomson, I can't get on with the aesthetics of their setback posts so that option is out.

Thoughts and help appreciated

Thanks
Mike

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

3T Dorico LTD ?

UD/Gloss/134g post + 45g clamp&bolts

25mm setback though, maybe too much?

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

Ritchey Superlogic
153g
25mm setback

gospastic

by gospastic

I have the Zipp SL Speed but in 27.2. It came in at 191g. I'm guessing 31.6 would be similar in weight.

metanoize

by metanoize

My favorite which I have on 3 bikes Syntace Hi-Flex http://www.syntaceusa.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2033

the jackel

by the jackel

Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. Anything with 25mm setback is a step too far I'm afraid. The 20mm that I suggested originally is pushing things already so I don't really want to go more than that.

gospastic wrote:I have the Zipp SL Speed but in 27.2. It came in at 191g. I'm guessing 31.6 would be similar in weight.

Do you have any particular comments about this post or does it simply do the job in a quiet but efficient way?

metanoize wrote:My favorite which I have on 3 bikes Syntace Hi-Flex http://www.syntaceusa.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks nice but doesn't seem good weight/£ against what else is out there. Its also not clear if/what the setback is. Any reason you like it so much versus others you have tried?

Thanks

Mike

addictR1

by addictR1

why not look into the Omni Carbon Seatpost? they have zero setback and weighs around 132g. not to mention around US$129 or so.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

addictR1, the OP needs 20mm of setback.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Easton EC90? Hits your budget, good weight, but only has 10mm of setback. You can also shave another 11 grams or so with the Ti hardware kit from Toronto Cycles.

How much of a deal-breaker is the setback?

I run the 0 setback with Ti bolts. Tuned it comes in at 150g

the jackel

by the jackel

It seems my thread has been merged with the bonus of bringing to light the USE alien option, although the setback is probably not enough.

The EC90 certainly seems like a pretty good idea although isn't glossy. I am reading conflicting things about the setback, some say 10 others say 20. The idea of bolt tuning is also appealing for a few extra grams. It is also the cheapest option as well, always nice.

Unfortunately I need the setback so an inline is really not an option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com