Yesterday, I went on a ride, untill my front tire became soft... I thought "a puncture? already?", but when I re-inflated it, I found a small lump, under which air seemed to escape.
Back at home, I used some soapsuds to find the puncture, but the lump did not leak any air! It came out of the sidewalls next to the lump.
So I'm guessing it's a productionfault, right? I already mailed Vredestein, asking for explanations, but I was also wondering if this tire can be saved (maybe to be used as a spare, if I replace it)
You are correct that the flaw likely occurred long before the tread was ever installed at the factory. Unfortunately, there is nothing that you can do. The LBS should have no problem giving you a new one, as the manufacturer will replace it.
Sounds like an "internal" leak to me.
The inner tube has a small puncture caused by a a grain of sand or whatever small particle sitting between casing and the inner tube causing a slow and diffused leak.
These are extremeley difficult to cure as the leakage is so slow even a shot of sealant won't be directed to it to stop it. You may give that a try though. With some luck the hole in the inner tube may find itself covered with liquid latex and cure it eventually.
I have Tufo S33 tubs - I know they are not to everyones taste
Tufo are tubeless. Do you reckon that a MTB tubular tyre repair kit will work on one of these if I puncture ? As there is no tube all I have to do is locate the puncture and insert/glue a rubber bung in it.
What do you lot reckon ?
I started repairing a Vittoria Evo Corsa CX 320 last night after a beer. I have successfully managed to tear the basetape all the way across about an inch from the valve. What are my options ?
Could I just take it off past the valve to where is joins the other end of the basetape and then replace that section overlapping by 5cm or so. Perhaps I could use a stronger glue that latex. What are your thoughts ?
Geoff wrote:Gee, that sounds familliar! That used to happen alot to me when I was starting out. We were riding cheap Barum tires and we used to have the basetapes separate all the time. The product that we used to use was Barge cement. I think it was for installing carpets, or something. It worked, anyway. The trick was to make sure that the surfaces were clean and dry. If you were trying to repair early-season tubulars, the road grit made it almost impossible to get a good bond.
Solving this kind of problem leaves most people without easy access to Barge cement in Europe clueless.
They either have to resort to rim cement which is a bad idea or find a shop that offers liquid latex and take a shot at it.
If there are places that still carry latex based carpet layer's glue then that would do as well but those are far and inbetween...
So, when based in Europe, what to do?
P.S. Before panic breaks out, having to reattach base tape is normally only of concern to those who actually repair their tubs by hand (thread and needle jobbers so to speak), base tape needs to be reattached after sewing or when using el cheapo tubs that have not been properly built in the first place and which you'd really not want to use anyways.
- Similar Topics
- Last post
- 1 Replies
- 612 Views
Last post by sungod
Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:07 pm
- 1 Replies
- 483 Views
Last post by Disc0
Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:28 pm
- 1 Replies
- 303 Views
Last post by Multebear
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:28 am
- 3 Replies
- 595 Views
Last post by P90Puma
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:07 pm
- 10 Replies
- 756 Views
Last post by JackRussellRacing
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:23 am