Moderator: Moderator Team
For the new stuff, I have a frameset from Pedalforce (http://pedalforce.com/online/product_in ... s_id=20501).
Going onto the new frameset is going to by a rival groupset (standard crank) off of a old road bike. BB matches up and headset matches, so that should be taken care of. Other things that will come off the old road bike is stem, handlebars, and seatpost w/collar.
That should, if my count is correct, leave cables, brakes, saddle, and wheelset that are missing. Along with chain ring and cassette needing to be replaced.
1. What can be done with the chain ring and cassette? Swap the chainrings? Or the cassette? Or both? Is a 1x10 easier to convert to?
2. Going along with the drivetrain, what cables/housing are recommended? I am in the Sacramento area and expect to be riding/racing in a fair bit of mud and rain.
3. I assume that road brakes are not going to work. Is there a goto brakeset that everybody should run? And are inline brake levers useful?
4. Wheels... I have been reading that Tubulars are the way to go, but have also seen some mentions of Stan's no tube system. Will a set of Stan's alpha rims (28/32 probably) hold up well for a 175lb cyclocross noob?
And finally, the most important question, is there a bar tape in existence that will survive the mud and grim?
1. 46 tooth chain ring to pair with the 39 (assuming 53-39) with a 12-27 cassette is a very versatile for racing and riding off road.
2. Tektro cr720 brakes with Kool Stop salmon pads (the pads are key)
3. Some decent clincher wheels with some Michelin Mud tires and good 25-28mm tubes.
4. Try to do full housing runs from shifters to derailleurs, no need for expensive cable sets if you can do this.
5. Inline levers, tried them years ago hated them, your mileage may vary.
6. Buy cheap bar tape and replace when needed.
Once I figured out that I really wanted to race cross seriously I built a second bike that's just for racing, single ring, light as hell with tubulars. I would never take this bike trail riding because the gearing isn't low enough. That's what I use my spare bike for.
- Similar Topics
- Last post
- 18 Replies
- 964 Views
Last post by robertbb
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:19 am
- 10 Replies
- 1201 Views
Last post by bm0p700f
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:27 pm
My first road bike and my first build - UPDATE
Last post by Mtek « Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:01 amReplies: 25
Posted in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.by Mtek » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:28 pm » in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.
- 25 Replies
- 3526 Views
Last post by Mtek
Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:01 am
My first road WW build - Parlee Z1 content!
Last post by reedplayer « Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:21 amReplies: 7
Posted in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.by Bream » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:08 pm » in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.
- 7 Replies
- 1317 Views
Last post by reedplayer
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:21 am
Filament Road Disc Build thread
Last post by Miller « Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:34 pmReplies: 13
Posted in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.by Titusrider » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:01 pm » in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.
- 13 Replies
- 2482 Views
Last post by Miller
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:34 pm