New tires, which one to choose?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Wich tire to choose?

Schwalbe Ultremo
26%
Conti 4000S
29%
Michelin PR3
45%

Total votes: 78

King Weel

by King Weel

My Ultremo's need to be replaced and I am considering either one of these above. I have ridden the Ultremo's for more than 1,5 year (not one set of course) and still really appreciate them. Light weight, great grip and (fairly) low rolling resistance. Impressive to see that there are not many tires that can match the Ultremo's performance with respect to weight, RR and grip, considering that these tires have been available for more than two years now.

The Conti 4000S however appears to perform better in the RR department, i.e. according to Tour: http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/de/continental/fahrrad/allgemein/news/download/tourtest_de.pdf, although I have some reservations about their test methods and appreciation of the results. Nevertheless, the Conti's are a serious competitor.

Finally, the Michelin ProRace3 have great pedigree considering the PR2's. However I have yet to see some test results of the new PR3. Any experiences would therefore be appreciated.

Hence my question, which on to choose?
Specialized S-Works Allez (the shiny one :) )
Turner Czar

by Weenie

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

I've got 2x GP4000S and really like them. But then again, I've not tried the other so didn't bother voting!

If my bike wasn't black and white, I might have considered the PR3 as they come in different colours.

bravo106

by bravo106

How will you use them?

I had Ultremos last year and they became my favorite tire ... while they lasted. Unfortunately, I got < 1,000 miles out of them (probably closer to 600-800) before the tube popped out of a small hole in the sidewall on a fast descent. :shock: Would not use day in, day out (which is not what they're intended for anyway), but I would consider getting them again and limit their use to certain situations.

I currently have the 4000S on the same bike. Ride quality is below the Ultremos, but not by much. Heavier, too. I'd say they're my 2nd favorite. Better as an everyday tire, though, based on their longevity/durability.

After being unimpressed with PRs back in '04, I tried PR2s last year. These were barely on my bike for a month, as I disliked them as well. I wouldn't even consider PR3s, but that's just me. Obviously others rave about them. Maybe by the time they come out with PR10s, I'll give them another shot. :roll:

I have Stelvios on one wheelset and Blizzards on another, so I've fast become a fan of Schwalbe.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

PR3's seem to cut way too easily like their previous versions... nice tire but.!

King Weel

by King Weel

bravo106 wrote:How will you use them?

Good point. As I only have one clincher set, I used these and will used these both for training and racing. Longivity and durability are not a real issue, RR, grip and weight are.
Turner Czar

bencolem

by bencolem

As an all-rounder I vote GP4000S - on my 'dale and (touch wood) perfectly reliable and discernable improvement on the GP4000.

King Weel

by King Weel

Mmmm, after 40 votes, the Contis have the lead over the PR3 by 3. Are there already that many riders on the PR3s or is it just based on expectations ? :wink:
Turner Czar

giant man

by giant man

Oh god what a non brainer! The PR3s by a mile, the other two aren't in the same league.

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

How many people who voted have actually tried more than one tyre on the list?

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

I've tried two sort of. I am currently riding the 4000S and I love them. I have ridden the ProRace2 and currently have a set on my other bike and like them although not quite as much as the Conti's. The biggest difference for me is I find the Conti's more comfortable than the ProRace2. I assume there isn't a big difference, especially with comfort between the 2's and 3's but could be wrong.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

King Weel

by King Weel

Just ordered a set of Michelin's through salden.nl. Pretty cheap at 26,95 each. Hope I will be able to comment on the ride characteristics soon (and of course compare them to the Ultremo's).

Btw, quite OT: just saw a 2009 Tarmac SL (no SL2 anymore) in Bettini WC color scheme at my LBS. Apparently the head tube is three cm shorter, so take care if you cut the fork tube assuming that the 2009's geometry is similar to the 2008 SL2... I saw what happened :shock:
Last edited by King Weel on Fri May 16, 2008 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turner Czar

vanker Patrick

by vanker Patrick

Ultremo are very good tires
good grip ! :shock:

artek

by artek

King Weel wrote:Mmmm, after 40 votes, the Contis have the lead over the PR3 by 3. Are there already that many riders on the PR3s or is it just based on expectations ? :wink:

Fair point, but keep in mind that the Michelin ProRace3 has now reached retailers in many markets, and is sometimes easier to find than the Continental GP 4000 S.

by Weenie

runner999

by runner999

Ultremo's got my vote. I've got the 1st gen from spring of 2007 and currently 1500 + mi on mine. Swapped out the inner tubes this year from the Vittoria 70gr to the Bontrager Race XXX Lite 52gr. I ran them 2 weekends ago in the 100k Martha's Vineyard MS ride in the rain, wind, over sea shells, sand, and chewed up roads from road construction. Never lost a beat. Did have a half dozen minor cuts (largest about 2mm) in the tires upon the following days inspection which did not surprise me. I cleaned out the inbedded sand in the cuts, super glued the cuts and have put over 400 miles on the same tires since. I'm a believer.. Oh BTW: I'm 175lbs and I ride Rolf Prima Elans if that matters..