Wiggins aerobars

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
justgoing

by justgoing

I saw a pic of his bars from yesterday's TOC prologue, but I can't remember which site I saw them on. Anyone see them - have a pic?

beaker

by beaker

justgoing wrote:I saw a pic of his bars from yesterday's TOC prologue, but I can't remember which site I saw them on. Anyone see them - have a pic?

They are from the British Federation as is his bike

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

Not exactly a new idea though. This one's mine and dates from mid eighties.
It's actually a prototype for Boardmans Olympic pursuit bike (labelled a lotus by then)
Notice on mine that the extensions are actually integral carbon fairings that your arms sit into instead of alloy (I presume) tubes attached seperately. Obviously no gear levers on mine though.

sajudice

by sajudice

Hi,
What cranks are those? I am not familiar with them. The cross section makes it look a little like the murray tour de force, but in Al instead of carbon.

Stephen J

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

Custom machined aero cranks by Chris Bell at Highpath http://www.highpath.co.uk/cycles/eggs/01.html

He also made the custom rear hub for single sided fit and chainring/sprocket for 6mm pitch chain to keep things light and aero without sacrificing rolling resistance of chain on small sprocket (16t rear is same/slightly smaller than normal 11t)

sajudice

by sajudice

Hi,
How much did that sucker cost you? Also, how has it held up. I had a set of Dan/ED cranks in the mid 90's that broke 3x (3 different sets), and also had the bb 'explode'; and Im not a big guy/ or a very strong guy. I am interested in the look of those cranks though.

STephen J

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

A few favours swung the right way and the complete bike was at the upper end of 3 figures - very cheap in my opinion for what is a peice of history as well as a stunning bike. It's actually prototype number 2 for those interested and was tested in a few time trials as well as on the track (hence front brake, which is actuated by a modified campy downtube lever mounted on the back of the handlebar - just to make it legal)

One crank had a dodgy pedal thread which was repaired but otherwise the whole bike has been very reliable.

BB and head bearings are very minimalist pressed in cartridge bearings (approx 1/2" steerer) and still the originals.

giant man

by giant man

Not sure about the dimpled texture and dragon on the frame but I think it's a brilliant bike and as you say, a piece of history. Very nice!

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

No dimpled texture, it's glassy smooth. What you're seeing is an airbrushed cloud background behing the dragon, looks stunning in the flesh but very hard to photograph.