Bike Project by elephant-New Photos August 07, 2006

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

elephant

by elephant

Bike with parts weighs 23 lbs. Not exactly a true WW bike, but it rides great. Other than shortening the steerer tube, I think I will leave it be for a while; maybe I'll change a few things next Spring when I have some miles on it.

See you on the trails!
Last edited by elephant on Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gregc

by gregc

hey,

bike looks great...just wondering where you guys ended up riding?

elephant

by elephant

Sprain Ridge.

It was pretty technical for my first ride. I forgot about how MTB riding is not just a matter of a round pedal stroke, but skill, courage, etc.

Nicolas

by Nicolas

Could you make the pictures smaller in width? Frankie would probably as well as I would :)
Think, type, speak... In that order...

elephant

by elephant

Nicolas wrote:Could you make the pictures smaller in width? Frankie would probably as well as I would :)

I am not very good at using photo bucket yet. I will post better pictures when I get them.

And who is Frankie?

King Weel

by King Weel

Frankie B, he is one of our appreciated moderators.
Specialized S-Works Allez (the shiny one :) )
Turner Czar

Frankie - B
Administrator

by Frankie - B

Thanks guys :thumbup:

And, there is nothing wrong with those pics (or am I to late?) the alowed size on ww is 1024 x 768. Maybe you are just like me using a 15.4" screen.

BTW, nice bike you got there! keep the info about it comming.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'

roxtr

by roxtr

wow nice ride!

I love the thin tubing and the braze on front mech. How are the thumbies performing during mtb? I like the old school look of them.

Have fun, Frank
Mountainbike marathon racer
frank-nak.nl

elephant

by elephant

roxtr wrote:wow nice ride!

I love the thin tubing and the braze on front mech. How are the thumbies performing during mtb? I like the old school look of them.

Have fun, Frank

I really like the Thumbies. I have only ridden Gripshift and Rapidfire-type shifters when borrowing a bike or on test rides. My road bike is Campy friction and my old MTB was Suntour thumbshifters, so I am used to feeling the shift and not just pressing a button and letting the derailleur do the work. I was also concerned about the large front shift on a 2x9 and I liked the idea of being able to trim the front so there is never any chain rub.

All that being said, unless you really have a thing for thumbshifters they may not be that great. They are not any better than other shifters for rear indexed shifting - they definitely work but I that is what I expected of Dura-Ace barcon shifters. I prefer them for the front, but maybe Gripshift works well and can be trimmed as well.

Also, I think many riders might find it strange to roll their thumb over the top of the bar - basically let go of the bar - to shift. I do not even think about because it is what I have always done. I never think about hitting a bump and my hand coming off, I just shift when I need to shift.

FYI, if you are thinking of using them - I did need to locate a non-Rapid Rise rear der for them to work the way I was used to as well. Supposedly 2007 XTR will be available in non-Rapid Rise, so this will not be an issue in the future.

They are light and they will be lighter after I my alloy bolts arrive.

saletel

by saletel

another thumbs up on the thumbies

Pedro Barbosa

by Pedro Barbosa

Hi, elephant.

Do this black C eggbeaters lose its collor very easy?

Thanks

laurence313

by laurence313

Hi elephant,

Nice Bike! Well done on the build. I can only dream of the feeling of taking a just completed bike for the first ride! I think I need to get mine finished ASAP. . . not so easy on the wallet thou.

Anyways, I want to ask how you get the road front derailleur to work with your top pull frame? I thought most front der. works only for bottom pull, or am I missing something?

Cheers,
laurence313

elephant

by elephant

To laurence313:

I have a pulley to route the cable. The frame has a braze-on for the pulley as well.

I will get a pic and post it along with all the details on where I got the pulley.

Also, don't rush getting your bike. Mine took 5 months to get finished, but I am very happy with the final product. The extra time is worth getting it done right - you will have the bike for many years.

Good luck with your build.

elephant

by elephant

Pedro Barbosa wrote:Hi, elephant.

Do this black C eggbeaters lose its collor very easy?

Thanks

I missed your post earlier.

The color does come off pretty quickly, but they still have a pretty cool "black" look to them. I will take a pic and post it here so you can get an idea of what they look like after some of the black wears off.

Pedro Barbosa

by Pedro Barbosa

elephant wrote:I will take a pic and post it here so you can get an idea of what they look like after some of the black wears off.

This would be great!

Thanks.