Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDY

by RDY

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:24 pm
To simplify. if that’s the case this will be the first major release to the public not tested in the pro peloton first.

I’m just speculating, if you’re right that’s great we get it earlier. But based on past events and what the person that works for Campagnolo said to my actual face, it will be late 2023.
I've no idea about the schedule. Just saying 'interference' / reliability of wireless is not a real thing.

If it's ready to go into production in Spring then I doubt they wait until the end of the year ... but who knows.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

so campy is acknowleding going to 13 speed is of no value to the consumer for road gearing. mmm don't get it. every major release they have done is to add a extra cog to differentiate campy vs sram/shimano. the dream of running a 1x14 speed groupset will not happend.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Battery tech has evolved somewhat from last EPS release so perhaps something lighter by way of a lighter LiON batt...that alone would be a win for current EPS users.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Battery will prob be £500 and unavailable anywhere

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

GaBa

by GaBa

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:36 pm
I also agree, end of the year seems more realistic. Especially if they’re testing a wireless system, they would need as much pro testing in racing as possible to properly iron out signal interference. I remember shimano saying that was a big challenge for them with their new 12s.

(Forgot to add) The rep confirmed they will still support rim and v4 mechs and shifters will not be compatible with v5.

I forgot to ask about a power meter 🫣
Oh wow, that sure is great to hear, if only it materialises. My LBS told me disc only and release in the beginning of 2023 (not sure anymore when, but I recall it was earlier than later in the year since I will be on the market for new groupset around new year).

jlok

by jlok

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:43 pm
Battery will prob be £500 and unavailable anywhere Image

Basso Diamante eps 12
Don't worry. There will be an accompanied B0ra 5W0 wheelset to generate... 5W 0utput to power the system when set up in wired mode :)
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

morrisond

by morrisond

spartan wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:20 pm
so campy is acknowleding going to 13 speed is of no value to the consumer for road gearing. mmm don't get it. every major release they have done is to add a extra cog to differentiate campy vs sram/shimano. the dream of running a 1x14 speed groupset will not happend.
There is not enough space in a rear hub to put 13 speeds in with road gearing, the spacing would have to be tighter than EKAR. The only way they can do it with EKAR is because the biggest sprocket is 36 and it hangs over the hubshell.

Sure they could build a road group with 36 teeth as the smallest big sprocket, and starting with a 12 or 13, but then what would the weight be?

2x12 Wireless, 10T starting gear, 10-25,10-27, 10-29 Cassettes, 45/29, 48/32 and 50/34 cranks with a focus on light weight, and one other surprise. :lol:

usr

by usr

morrisond wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:21 pm
Sure they could build a road group with 36 teeth as the smallest big sprocket, and starting with a 12 or 13, but then what would the weight be?
12-36 with a 54-40 front would certainly give smooth front shifts, and enough overlap to get through most of the day without needing one.

But then there are also those Classified cooperation rumors, and Campagnolo is enough of a wheelmaker these days that a group set without many third party wheel options would not be much of a problem. And if they tweaked the rear brake caliper a little to double as a gearing torque pickup connector, they wouldn't even need special frames. (but that approach would not be rim compatible anymore, I don't really expect it)

morrisond

by morrisond

usr wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:47 am
morrisond wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:21 pm
12-36 with a 54-40 front would certainly give smooth front shifts, and enough overlap to get through most of the day without needing one.

But then there are also those Classified cooperation rumors, and Campagnolo is enough of a wheelmaker these days that a group set without many third party wheel options would not be much of a problem. And if they tweaked the rear brake caliper a little to double as a gearing torque pickup connector, they wouldn't even need special frames. (but that approach would not be rim compatible anymore, I don't really expect it)
Yes - but that cassette and chainring combo would be very heavy.

morrisond

by morrisond

Wow - its been almost a day and nobody has commented on the numbers I included up thread.

GaBa

by GaBa

They were already mentioned in this topic although from some instagram post. To my knowledge 10t sprockets suck friction wise so that is downside. Upside is the system as a whole will be lighter and if I understand you correctly this is (one of) their aim? I like it, I still look at what the bike weighs :)

GaBa

by GaBa

But you definitely made my day with info about having rim option. Was already looking at Ultegra Di2 but will postpone purchasing new group to wait and see what Campa will offer (and to save some money :)).

Seems like my LBS does not have very exact info so my bad for saying group will be disc only and available in the beginning of 2023.

satanas

by satanas

Assuming the current 11-29 cassette will still work, the new chainrings could give some useful options. 10-25 plus 11-29 should cover just about everything...

RDY

by RDY

Whatever they do with chainrings / chainsets, I bet they come out with yet another BCD ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

satanas wrote:Assuming the current 11-29 cassette will still work, the new chainrings could give some useful options. 10-25 plus 11-29 should cover just about everything...
How do you plan getting the 25 to work? Spokes & mech will be far too close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk