Gp5000 s tr tubeless vs. Gp5000 clincher latex

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mathias720

by mathias720

Hello everyone. I am going to build myself a fast wheelset for races and KOM rides.
I am looking at tires and setup atm.
I am debating between going gp5000 clincher with latex or revoloop tube
Or gp5000 s tr tubeless or latex og revoloop

I have Found different test showing different results of these setups. Did anyone find any direct comparison between an old clincher with latex vs. s tr version tubeless and s tr version with latex?

As far as I see from test the fastest rolling is gp5000 clincher with latex setup,
This is only for the speed not concerning tubeless being able to repair a puncture and so on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Rolling resistance difference is small enough (likely sub 1, max 2 watts) to prioritize robustness instead. In fact, Aerocoach tested 5000 clincher vs 5000 TR as 0.1 watt difference per pair of wheels @ 45 kph.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

AJS914

by AJS914

Latex may be the fastest by a watt or two but isn't not getting a flat during a race priceless?

Cannoli

by Cannoli

AJS914 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:16 pm
Latex may be the fastest by a watt or two but isn't not getting a flat during a race priceless?
That depends. How many watt's does it take to change a tire? :noidea:

:mrgreen:
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

yingyu

by yingyu

It depends on road quality. On rough roads, tubeless allows lower pressure without pinch flat risks. On smooth and clean roads latex tubes would be a simpler setup.

Hookless rims are generally lighter and wider than hooked ones but they must pair with tubeless tires.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Speed is so close. Weight is also now similar.
It's actually robustness vs convenience that is the deciding factor.

Tubeless is more robust but it require sealant. Sealant dry up in a tire with time no matter if you use it or not.
If you wear out tire quickly, you never have to do sealant maintenance. But otherwise, every 3 months or so, you supposed to check sealant level and refill. Then maybe every year, do clean up the sealant glob inside the tire.

Latex tube doesn't have self sealing proprety but it only need to air up before each and every ride.
If you leave the wheel untouched for months, all you need is to air it up then it's ready to ride.
Good for bike that aren't used often. Like weekend nice bike. In fact, since lock down last year, I ride on trainer much more often and much less on road. And one of my GP5000 is now 2 years old with the latex tube that is reused from several tires. If I use tubeless, it'd be many bottles of sealant already.

RadB

by RadB

Is this an an argument people are now having re: road tubeless vs tubed? I'm all in tubeless but it's not perfect, esp when it all turns to sh1te, and using bottles of super Silca sealant to make it work better feels like evidence something has gone wrong along the way.

SystemShock

by SystemShock

I just don't wanna deal with the mess and fuss of tubeless. :|

Orlok

by Orlok

mathias720 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:04 pm
Hello everyone. I am going to build myself a fast wheelset for races and KOM rides.

I have Found different test showing different results of these setups. Did anyone find any direct comparison between an old clincher with latex vs. s tr version tubeless and s tr version with latex?

As far as I see from test the fastest rolling is gp5000 clincher with latex setup,
This is only for the speed not concerning tubeless being able to repair a puncture and so on.
Where did you found those tests with different results of yours setups.? Because the only test I know are from bicyclerollingresistance.com and there conclusion is that gp5000 str have less rollingresistance then the gp5000 clincher. So I'm curious where you found your results.! :wink:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

Orlok

by Orlok

double posted

mathias720

by mathias720

Orlok wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:16 am
mathias720 wrote:

Where did you found those tests with different results of yours setups.? Because the only test I know are from bicyclerollingresistance.com and there conclusion is that gp5000 str have less rollingresistance then the gp5000 clincher. So I'm curious where you found your results.! :wink:
Brr test is done with butyl tube in the clincher as far as i remember. So cant be Compared. Aero coach tested the clincher with latex to be faster

Orlok

by Orlok

mathias720 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:28 am
Orlok wrote:
mathias720 wrote:

Brr test is done with butyl tube in the clincher as far as i remember. So cant be Compared. Aero coach tested the clincher with latex to be faster
The general conclusions of bicyclerollingresistance:
  • Tubeless tires have the least rolling resistance
  • Tubeless tires are the hardest to set up
  • Latex inner tubes come close to the tubeless set up
  • Latex inner tubes have to be pumped every day
  • Butyl inner tubes have much higher rolling resistance
  • Butyl inner tubes are low maintenance
You're still not be able to give the link to your results.!

warthog101

by warthog101

Deleted

ToileySiphon

by ToileySiphon

I'm having similar questions. What could be another decisive factor is safety. Aren't latex tubes prone to sudden blowouts?

Envoyé de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

Orlok wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:55 am
mathias720 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:28 am
Orlok wrote:
mathias720 wrote:

The general conclusions of bicyclerollingresistance:
  • Tubeless tires have the least rolling resistance
  • Tubeless tires are the hardest to set up
  • Latex inner tubes come close to the tubeless set up
  • Latex inner tubes have to be pumped every day
  • Butyl inner tubes have much higher rolling resistance
  • Butyl inner tubes are low maintenance
You're still not be able to give the link to your results.!
He mentioned aerocoach and it's easy to google, or lazy people: https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/time-trial ... tance-data