Factor Ostro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gycc

by gycc

thanks a lot for your input ArtV

toshi

by toshi

gycc wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 6:19 am
Hi All, newbie here.
I am going to pull the trigger for an Ostro and I am in california. I am wondering if it's better to buy directly from Factor or through an US dealer...
One question for US buyers, do you need to pay additional custom/duty/tax on top of Factor's prices? (it's now $9999 for a sram force build)

thanks in advance!
I'm in California and received a frameset last month. No customs/duty/tax so far. Unfortunately they sent the wrong frameset, ugh. :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sushisalmon

by sushisalmon

gycc wrote:
Hi All, newbie here.
I am going to pull the trigger for an Ostro and I am in california. I am wondering if it's better to buy directly from Factor or through an US dealer...
One question for US buyers, do you need to pay additional custom/duty/tax on top of Factor's prices? (it's now $9999 for a sram force build)

thanks in advance!
From my experience, the price on the site is the final price and includes sales tax, shipping, and any VAT. As far as I know there aren't any US dealers, so factory direct is your only choice. If you know of any though, let me know.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

How comfortable is the Ostro? Has anyone done any serious endurance riding on it? Does it beat you up a bit, or is it good for 7 - 10 hour rides?

I've found when riding hard that everything feels comfortable - the harder you press on the pedals, the less the pressure on the ass and hands. But when you slow down to a pace you can sustain for 10 hours, the comfort or lack thereof of a particular frame really shows itself.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:05 am
How comfortable is the Ostro? Has anyone done any serious endurance riding on it? Does it beat you up a bit, or is it good for 7 - 10 hour rides?

I've found when riding hard that everything feels comfortable - the harder you press on the pedals, the less the pressure on the ass and hands. But when you slow down to a pace you can sustain for 10 hours, the comfort or lack thereof of a particular frame really shows itself.
How do you parse out what's due to the frame and what's due to things like the fit, contact points, road conditions? (Not that I do anything for 10 or even eight hours... .)

fruitfly

by fruitfly

I recently did a 300km/2500m climbing ride on my Ostro in the Fraser Valley, 12h riding time (randonneuring). It is astonishingly comfortable on mostly worn chip seal roads. It is just as good as my Argonaut frame with custom carbon layup designed to minimize the road buzz, and be good for climbing (I do an Everesting every year...). I may well use the Ostro for this year's Everesting attempt on Mt Baker, just for the aero advantage on the descents. I am no speed monster-my previous 2 Everestings were around 22 hours, and I would have no hesitation using the Ostro. For the previous poster, saddle position, reach, and handlebar width are the same on both bikes,but there is 2.5cm less drop on the Argonaut. I do feel my neck and between my shoulders more on long rides with the Ostro, but in terms of absorption of road vibration, there is no difference.
Factor Ostro

Lookryder

by Lookryder

fruitfly wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 4:47 am
I recently did a 300km/2500m climbing ride on my Ostro in the Fraser Valley, 12h riding time (randonneuring). It is astonishingly comfortable on mostly worn chip seal roads. It is just as good as my Argonaut frame with custom carbon layup designed to minimize the road buzz, and be good for climbing (I do an Everesting every year...). I may well use the Ostro for this year's Everesting attempt on Mt Baker, just for the aero advantage on the descents. I am no speed monster-my previous 2 Everestings were around 22 hours, and I would have no hesitation using the Ostro. For the previous poster, saddle position, reach, and handlebar width are the same on both bikes,but there is 2.5cm less drop on the Argonaut. I do feel my neck and between my shoulders more on long rides with the Ostro, but in terms of absorption of road vibration, there is no difference.
This is helpful, thank you. I’m assuming the tires are the same size between the two?

gycc

by gycc

sushisalmon wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:19 am
gycc wrote:
Hi All, newbie here.

thanks in advance!
From my experience, the price on the site is the final price and includes sales tax, shipping, and any VAT. As far as I know there aren't any US dealers, so factory direct is your only choice. If you know of any though, let me know.
Thanks shushisalmon, that's good information to know. The website price is the full price already, it's more better value than a tarmac imo :)

gycc

by gycc

toshi wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:09 am
gycc wrote:
Hi All, newbie here.

thanks in advance!
I'm in California and received a frameset last month. No customs/duty/tax so far. Unfortunately they sent the wrong frameset, ugh. :cry:
thanks Toshi, heopfully Factor's customer service is good.

fruitfly

by fruitfly

Lookryder: Yes the tires are the same-I ride 25C on the front and 28C on the rear on both bikes. Wheels are different-Roval Rapide 50/60 on the Ostro vs LB 35mm on the Argonaut.

I found Factor customer service to be excellent (ordered online)

Factor Ostro

Lookryder

by Lookryder

fruitfly wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 1:33 am
Lookryder: Yes the tires are the same-I ride 25C on the front and 28C on the rear on both bikes. Wheels are different-Roval Rapide 50/60 on the Ostro vs LB 35mm on the Argonaut.

I found Factor customer service to be excellent (ordered online)

This is helpful. Thanks!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

twoangstroms wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:18 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 4:05 am

How do you parse out what's due to the frame and what's due to things like the fit, contact points, road conditions? (Not that I do anything for 10 or even eight hours... .)
Most of us will have experience with the same fit, same contact points, and same road conditions (as well as same wheels/tires/psi etc.), but on a different frame to which we can compare - that's how! So get yourself a few bikes and go ride them for 10 hours each and report back. :D
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

felipenovais

by felipenovais

WITHOUT PEDALS 6.24kg. I am using Garmin vector 3, and they are heavy. Currently sitting at 6.56kg with power meter pedals.
Attachments
280101808_1057486561829863_658070436500887882_n.jpg

MikeZ

by MikeZ

felipenovais wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:54 am
WITHOUT PEDALS 6.24kg. I am using Garmin vector 3, and they are heavy. Currently sitting at 6.56kg with power meter pedals.

Lovely!!!

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Anyone who has compared One and Ostro VAM side by side? The One is a pure aero bike and the Ostro VAM more all round? Wondering what the differences are in the real road.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com